Thursday, March 1, 2018

Byrne Fantastic Four, Jessica Jones, Champions, Invincible Iron Man

New comic day!
Jessica Jones 17
Second to last issue of Bendis’ run, and the conclusion of the Purple Man arc.  I’m a little let down by this one.  The extended monologues are still top notch, but Bendis really wrote himself into a corner.  Over the last couple issues, Purple Man had proven himself to be uber powerful and literally unkillable.  

Bendis was left with nothing but the old “the only person who could defeat him was himself” solution.  And even then, it was shoddily handled.  I still don’t understand what happened here.  After all that talking and not getting anywhere, Purple Man arbitrarily decides to die.  O...kay?  It’s horribly unsatisfying, the more I think about it - Jessica did nothing, and was ultimately a bystander in one of the most crucial moments of her life.  

No.  She didn't do anything.

Maybe it’ll read better the second time around.  I hope so.

Update: I just read my review of the previous issue, and I predicted that the ending would feel like a cheat.  Sigh.  

Invincible Iron Man 597
Even by Bendis standards, so little happens in this issue.  Riri returns to MIT and reclaims her armor after the dean tells her it’s okay.  Dr Doom fights the Wrecking Crew.  A completely superfluous issue.  (It’ll probably read better in the trade, when it’s part of more than a two minute zip through.)

Champions 17
Very Hand that Rocks the Cradle.  Evil android Viv goes psycho on good now-human Viv.  The rest of the team rescues bystanders on runaway subways.  It’s fine, and the art is beautiful.  But nothing particularly memorable.  

Fantastic Four 273-275
Turns out I’m missing issue 276.  The Byrne run has been decent, but I’m not dying to find this issue to fill the gap.  If I find it at a store, I’ll get it, but it’s not going to keep me up at night.  Especially since it appears to deal with the Richards’ nosy old neighbor, whom I’d happily see launched into orbit.  

I love how She-Hulk’s leaning on Wyatt in these panels.  Her casual affection is endearing, and I like how he doesn’t seem intimidated by her strength.  




Miscarriage fallout continues, so my wrongness continues to grow.

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes
Would read again? No
Rating: Didn’t suck

No comments:

Post a Comment