Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Hilo

Hilo 1-6

Judd Winick started Hilo because he wanted to create something that he could show to his kids.  By all accounts, he’s been hugely successful; kids love Hilo, including my nephew.  


As for me, it’s not as good as Winick’s best stuff.  Hardly a surprise, I’m not the target audience.  It’s all too easy to find parallels between the Hilo/Gina/DJ trio and Barry Ween/Sara/Jeremy.  Izzy plays the newcomer role that Roxy filled.  Hilo’s enthusiasm is a touch excessive for me, but it’s hard to find fault with the positive lessons of friendship, fun, and learning.


I’m thrilled that this exists for my daughter.  But for me, I’ll keep on wishing for more Barry Ween.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Nice (Pretty good for volumes 3 and 4)


No comments:

Post a Comment