Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Catwoman

Catwoman 1-4

Ed Brubaker and Darwyn Cooke team up to tell a story that…isn’t as good as I remember.  Though to be honest, I didn’t remember anything about this arc except for the fact that Cooke drew it.  


Selina reboots her life, coming off of Selina’s Big Score, along with her costume (which is still in use today).  Holly re-enters Selina’s life.  The plot itself is uninspiring, with a Clayface clone killing prostitutes.  I’m only keeping this for Cooke’s art.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Nice


Catwoman 5-7

Brad Rader enters and Cooke leaves, taking with him any incentive I have to stay with this.  Past me agreed, quitting after three more issues.  Selina investigates a drug ring involving corrupt Gotham cops.  Brubaker doesn’t have it here, but it’s good to know that he massively elevates his game for the upcoming Gotham Central.  


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: No

Rating: Fine (Cutting)


Catwoman 17-19

I have no idea what made me come back for these three issues, but I’m so happy that I did.  This is a remarkable arc, dealing with the emotional fallout of Slam Bradley hooking up with Selina.  It’s the classic “he loves her, she’s using him to feel something/anything.”  It’s obviously destined to end with shattered hearts all around, and it’s masterfully done.  This is probably the most relationship-heavy story Brubaker’s done, and it’s a great one.  Javier Pulido does a wonderful job on the art.


That's...depressingly familiar.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Good


No comments:

Post a Comment