Wednesday, September 12, 2018

US, Vertigo Pop: Tokyo, Vertical

US 1-2
This came out in 1997, right on the heels of Kingdom Come.  I was riding the crest of the Alex Ross wave at the time, more than willing to read the next big thing from him sight unseen.  What a mistake.

Steve Darnall’s written a garbled mess of a story, ranting about America’s history of atrocities for the better part of two issues before tying it up with a fistfight (!) between disillusioned America and corporate greed America.  I don’t have an objection to a close examination of the sins of America’s past, nor of the problems of its current state of affairs, but there’s no substance to any of Darnall’s observations. He gives each topic nothing more than a cursory pass, allowing me no time to consider anything more than, “Yep, the slaughter of Native Americans sucked.  JFK’s assassination sucked too. Oh yeah, I remember slavery. Definitely a low point.” Filtered through the fractured mind of our Uncle Sam protagonist, it’s even more of a jumbled mishmash of scenes.

Alex Ross’ work is never hard to look at, but his talents are not maximized on this title.  The colors are muted, and nothing is really gained by making this a painted work. The last page of the first issue is pretty effective, though.



I haven’t read this in quite some time, and I can see why.  I’m strongly inclined to cut this, as I really don’t see myself needing to peruse it ever again.  And even if it doesn’t stand out as one of his better works, it’s still Alex Ross...Sigh. I’ll keep it for him.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: No
Rating: Stupid

Vertigo Pop: Tokyo 1-4
Seriously, what the hell was I thinking when I bought this?  Jonathan Vankin writes an insane story about a J-Pop singer, the insane girl who obsesses over him, the incompetent yakuza who are trying to hurt him, and the useless gaijin who’s been unwittingly dragged into the whole mess.  It’s an incomprehensible piece of garbage, made barely tolerable by Seth Fisher’s wonderfully delightful art.  




It’s not enough to keep this in my collection, especially since I have his work on Flash: Time Flies.

Regret buying: Yes
Would buy again: No
Would read again: No
Rating: Hated (Cutting)

Vertical 1

Take a comic book, slice it in half lengthwise, and move the fold to the top.  That’s what Vertical is shaped like.  I’ve never seen this format before or since.  

Today is not the day for good writing.  The Steven T. Seagle story is uninspired, telling the story of two artists who meet at Andy Warhol’s Factory.  On top of that, Seagle only lets Allred take advantage of the unique page size in a few places.

I’m usually not the biggest fan of Allred’s art.  His pop art sensibilities never worked for me in the modern comic setting.  That also means that this is the perfect project for him. His Lichtenstein-esque panels and flat coloring (along with Laura Allred) could not be a better match.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: No
Rating: Fine


No comments:

Post a Comment