Sunday, September 2, 2018

Commuter

Commuter
I knew I watched one more action movie on the flight back from Germany, but I could not for the life of me remember what it was until just yesterday.  Which is really all you need to know about The Commuter.  It’s perfectly diverting during the viewing, but literally forgettable immediately after viewing.  Liam Neeson does the thing he’s done so well since Taken, kicking ass and solving mysteries at a more advanced age than the usual action star.  He’s the movie version of Bob Lee Swagger from Stephen Hunter’s novels (not the movie or tv shows starring much younger iterations).  
Aside: I’d love to see Bob Lee Swagger movies with a properly aged Bob Lee.  Clint Eastwood circa Unforgiven would have been perfect.  Nowadays? I don’t know. Neeson would need to lose the accent and add a lot more years wasted to alcohol’ to his performance.

A fine plane movie, worth your time if you don’t have to pay money for the experience.

Regret watching? No
Would watch again? No
Would buy on DVD? No
Rating: Fine

I was listening to The Incomparables’ podcasts about the MCU, and they talked about how Ronin was the worst Marvel movie villain.  Which made me wonder how I would rank them. Here we go, with the worst first:

  1. Abomination (Hulk)
  2. Malekith (Thor 2)
  3. Ronin (Guardians 1)
  4. Ego (Guardians 2)
  5. Kaecilius (Doctor Strange)
  6. Aldrich Killian (Iron Man 3)
  7. Red Skull (Captain America 1)
  8. Yellowjacket (Ant-Man)
  9. Whiplash (Iron Man 2)
  10. Loki (Thor)
  11. Ultron (Avengers 2)
  12. Obadiah Stane (Iron Man 1)
  13. Hela (Thor 3)
  14. Sonny Burch (Ant Man/Wasp)
  15. Vulture (Spider-Man)
  16. Alexander Pierce(Captain America 2)
  17. Killmonger (Black Panther)
  18. Helmut Zemo (Captain America 3)
  19. Loki (Avengers 1)
  20. Thanos (Avengers 3)
The top nine or so are truly boring.  It’s a damning indictment of their blandness that I remembered a bunch of them by the actor’s name, not the character’s.  Also, only one female in the bunch. What’s up with that?

I love that Sonny Burch cracks the top 10 of best villains.  

No comments:

Post a Comment