Thursday, September 27, 2018

Mask of the Phantasm, Subzero


Mask of the Phantasm 1
The comic adaptation of the amazing animated film.  It’s a faithful conversion of the movie, but so much of the greatness is lost in translation - the superlative voice acting, the animation, the gorgeous score by Shirley Walker.  The sadness and angst that saturates the movie manages to be touching instead of cheesy.

If there was nothing to compare it to, perhaps it I wouldn’t have found the comic so lacking.  But instead, I found myself just wanting to watch the movie instead. Which is what I’m literally doing right now as I type this.  I’m not sure if I’d call it the best Batman movie….you know, let’s find out. I haven’t done this ranking before. (Of the ones I’ve seen.)

  1. Mask of the Phantasm - Wow, it really does rank first on my list.  Surprised not surprised.
  2. Dark Knight - Heath Ledger.  Literally one of my favorite movie performances ever.



  1. Batman Returns - Michelle Pfeiffer.


(Because more Michelle is better.)

  1. Dark Knight Rises - The plot is crap but shockingly rewatchable.  Bane’s breaking of the Bat is a great scene. We got this hilarious video of Bane:



  1. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
  2. Batman Forever - Jim Carrey was surprisingly fun in this, and it has Nicole Kidman at the peak of her hotness.  
No movie clips.  That movie really was so bad.

  1. Batman - The only impression I have of this movie is that it was dark and I couldn’t tell what was going on.  Nicholson’s performance hasn’t aged well.
  2. Batman Begins - Never liked this one.  Christian Bale is a weak Batman, this whole thing bored me.  
  3. Batman and Robin - Obviously last.

Anyway, not keeping this issue.  I’ll never want to read it while the movie exists in the world.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: No
Rating: Didn’t suck (Cutting)

Batman and Robin Adventures: Sub Zero
Another adaptation of an animated movie (direct to video).  I never watched the original, but the comics doesn’t impress me.  It reads like a double-sized regular issue, with nothing that makes it worth making into a movie.  Not keeping it.

Regret buying: Yes
Would buy again: No
Would read again: No
Rating: Boring (Cutting)

No comments:

Post a Comment