Friday, February 9, 2018

Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Runaways

Just a couple of new comics this week:

Spider-Man 237
Yet another Bendis title that’s not long for my pull list.  This issue consists of the following:
Miles talks with Aaron.
Jefferson talks with Rio.
Miles talks with Jefferson and Rio.
Lana talks with her mom.
Red Hulk talks with Hobgoblin.  
Miles talks with Aaron again.
Danika talks with someone on the phone.

The only ‘action’ that happens is Hobgoblin’s ill-considered murder attempt of the Red Hulk, less than a page’s worth of content.  

And I am perfectly content with all of it.  Just as many words as a Stan Lee comic (okay, maybe not quite as many), but infinitely more compelling.  There’s a magic to the flow of his dialog that always leaves me wanting more.  The guy should try his hand at screenwriting or something.  

Six years ago, the death of Ultimate Peter Parker was the last time I actively hated a comic because of how much it emotionally affected me.  (It might also be the first, another example doesn’t spring to mind.)   I loved what Bendis had done with the character and supporting cast.  I did not want Peter to die.  I did not want Aunt May and MJ to go through that pain.  

I did not want to like whoever Bendis had planned to follow in Spider-Man’s footsteps.  

Six years later, I don’t want Bendis to stop writing Miles Morales.  There are too many stories left to tell, and no one will be able to tell them as well.

Runaways 6
Six issues in and I’ve finally added this on to my pull list.  Rowell has recreated Brian K Vaughan’s vibe quite nicely, and these kids all sound like I remember.  Looking forward to their continued adventures.  

Also, I need to watch the show.  The first ep was good, and I haven’t gotten back to it yet.

Fantastic Four 48-51
Maybe this is how myths happen.  The story of the Fantastic Four’s epic first encounter with Galactus is the stuff of legend.  It’s been referenced and retold countless times.  It’s as classic as comics come.  But after reading for the second time in my life, the original leaves me cold.  It really could have used more room to develop the story.  Even though it’s a three-issue arc, the main plot is bookended by an issue’s worth of filler.  Two issues’ worth of content is not enough to properly tell this story.  More time could have been gainfully spent on, among other things,  Johnny Storm’s mission to retrieve the Ultimate Nullifier (man, did Stan Lee know how to name things!) and the conversion of the Silver Surfer (the intentions were good, Alicia had it a little too easy).  A modern day deconstruction of this story could be amazing.

The worst indictment is that I found myself wanting to read Busiek’s version in issue 3 of Marvels instead of this.  

Can’t sign off before shouting out to Jack Kirby’s mad machines and photo collages.  I found the color versions online.




No comments:

Post a Comment