Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Byrne Fantastic Four, Bendis New Avengers

New Avengers 11-13
The last of the David Finch New Avengers.  I won’t miss his faces, but he does draw a pretty fight scene.  And while it isn’t the most inspired of designs, there’s something about the Ronin costume that I totally dig:



It also helps that it’s Echo beneath the mask.  I’ll go over this in detail when I get to David Mack’s Daredevil, but I love her character so much.  Wikipedia reveals that she hasn’t really been put to good use since her initial appearance, so I’ll take what I can get.

Not much else happens here; The Avengers fight ninja and Spider-Woman reveals that she’s working for Madame Hydra.  Again, way more plot than character here.

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Fine

Fantastic Four 261-264
The out-of-nowhere kiss that starts issue 261 did nothing but remind me of a more memorable opening page kiss (even though it came years later):


Maybe it's only memorable to me.



I don’t know very much about the Namor/Sue romance, and this issue doesn’t do anything to enlighten me.  But the two panels devoted to it have me more interested in this relationship than fifty-plus issues of watching Reed and Sue go through the motions of a marriage that could belong in a fifties sitcom.

Just like Reed, too busy reading to notice his wife.

The Trial of Reed Richards.  What an odd issue - it came during Marvel’s Assistant Editor Month, which gave it the excuse of being weird.  It chose to take advantage of this leeway by making John Byrne a character in the story, for reasons that defy understanding.  After moving past that baffling decision, the issue serves as the origin story for Galactus.  The trial is concluded by a deus ex machina turn from Eternity.  Sure, whatever.  

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Fine

No comments:

Post a Comment