Sunday, February 25, 2018

Byrne Fantastic Four, Defenders, Mighty Thor, American Way, Fence, Punisher: The Platoon

Taking a look at the new stuff that came out this week:

Defenders 10
And so begins Brian Michael Bendis’ departure from his stable of Marvel titles.  This will most certainly need to be re-evaluated after I binge read it the second time around.  Right now, my memories of this series consist primarily of excellent fight scenes and a jumbled mess of Kingpin-wannabes fighting each other and the Defenders.  Entertaining but insubstantial is how I currently characterize this series.  And the ending is a cop out masquerading as a pretty poster.  

Mighty Thor 704
When the Death of Spider-Man arc started in the Ultimate universe, I did not believe it.  No story gives away the ending like that, especially when it’s the end of the title character.  Also, I did not want to believe it, since I loved that Peter Parker so much.

I’m feeling the same way with this Thor.  I don’t want Jane Foster to die, and I didn’t believe it at the beginning, but it’s looking more and more likely at this point.  It makes me sad, and bravo to Jason Aaron if he’s pulling the wool over my eyes.  I hate him if he isn’t.  

American Way: Those Above and Those Below 6
Not nearly as good as the previous mini-series.  The various threads didn’t tie together coherently, the issue ends with no satisfying resolution, and I flat out don’t like Georges Jeanty’s art.  I didn’t like it on Buffy, and I don’t like it here. His faces are inconsistent and unappealing.  Not worth buying, but I’d read it again (I think).  

Fence 4
This is as manga as it gets in US comic book form.  A callow high school student with raw talent joins the fencing team.  His roommate turns out to be his chief rival, and way more skilled at their craft.  Whatever will happen next?

Each issue is way too short, feels similar to a chapter in a manga.  I’ll stop buying and see if I’m still inspired pick it up when it comes out in trade.  

Punisher: The Platoon 6
This joins the rest of Garth Ennis’ Punisher run as something that I’ll read many times in the future.  No more to say.   

And back to our regularly scheduled run of Fantastic Four:
Fantastic Four 255-260
Quick hits:
The alien in issue 255 loses because he’s stupid, but I forgive him because he gets it:

Truer words were never spoken.

John Byrne continues to be the king of drawing people getting smashed through stuff:

Byrne conveys such power and destruction in these panels.

I appreciate the attempt at modesty, but the impossibility of the skirt physics on display bug me to no end:

Why did he even tie them up like that in the first place?

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Fine

No comments:

Post a Comment