Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Black Hammer, Batman Incorporated

Black Hammer 1-6
I bought this on the recommendation of a co-worker.  It’s the latest (for me) in a long line of JLA-analog stories.  The ‘JLA’ has been trapped on a farm for the past 10 years for reasons unknown, following a massive battle that saved the world.  Why can’t they leave?  We don’t know yet.  But we learn about their backgrounds and how they’ve adapted to small town life, where no one knows who they are.  And the daughter of their dead comrade has begun looking for them.  

It’s entertaining enough.  I read the trade straight through, and want to read the next one.  

Batman Incorporated 0-13, Batman Incorporated Special 1
These trades were sitting on the bookshelf at the library, and I’d never read them before.  I didn’t get very far in Grant Morrison’s Batman run when it first came out.  I don’t think I was a very big fan of Damian Wayne back then.  That opinion has changed drastically with Peter Tomasi’s Super Sons.  Which....was cancelled in an announcement today.  Ah well.  

I read Batman RIP at a used bookstore and hated it, so I figured Morrison just didn’t have it this time around.  Sadness, since he pretty much defined Batman-as-all-knowing-god on JLA.  

But library means free, so why not?  

The concept of international Batmen really doesn’t do anything for me.  Not sure why, let’s see if I can break it down.

I have no problem with multiple Green Lanterns.  Green Arrow has a son with the same name and a spinoff with Arsenal.  Superman’s got Supergirl.  Flash has a whole team of speedsters.  Even Batman has his family, four Robins, and temporary replacements.  Why does Batman Incorporated feel so gimmicky by comparison?  Why can there be a Green Lantern for each sector of space, but not a Batman for each country?

I think it’s because Batman is inextricably tied to his origin - Murdered parents in Gotham and the determined vow of a grief-stricken child.  Calling someone the Batman of Japan or the Batman of England is absolutely meaningless.  Superficial similarities - dead loved ones and fighting for justice - aren’t enough.  Grah.  I couldn’t get to a good explanation.  But i still don’t like it.  

While the Batman Incorporated part of the story is questionable, everything else is solid for a good long time - The build up of Talia’s plan, Batman’s attempts to counter it, and the growing horror as it all goes incredibly wrong had me rapidly flipping the pages.  The culminating battle in the Wayne Tower lobby is spectacularly choreographed.  The character moments between Damian and Dick are beautifully touching.  And Robin’s final stand showcases a brave, scared, defiant, beaten boy.  It’s very good comics.  




If only the following issues handled the aftermath as adroitly.  It’s now the third instance I can recall where a Batman arc fails to conclude as successfully as it starts (War of Jokes and Riddles, Death of the Family).  

Out of time.  I’ll write more tomorrow if I can’t fill it with whatever I read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment