Sunday, October 13, 2019

Switchblade Honey, Time Lincoln, Tokyo Storm Warning, New comics

Three new comics for the week, all Batman related.
Batman Universe 4
Less fun than the previous issues, but still entertaining enough. Nick Derington is the star of the issue.  His art’s a mix of Mike Allred and Cliff Chiang, which is really nice to look at. (At what point does my head stop seeing an artist as a collection of influences?  When did Bryan Hitch go from being an Alan Davis disciple to owning his style in my eyes?)

Batman’s Grave 1
Speaking of Hitch, he reunites w/ Warren Ellis from their Authority days.  

This is a stunningly meh book, with both the writing and the art.  It’s been quite some time since I’ve liked anything from Warren Ellis, and whether it’s because he’s past his writing prime or my sensibilities have shifted to a place where his work no longer resonates with me, I really need to stop buying his work on sight.  

As for Hitch, some of his poses are downright awkward, a far cry from his best pages.

That kick lacks punch.

This whole sequence is missing energy.

I regret buying this without giving it a closer look in the store.  Won’t be getting the next issue.

Joker/Harley: Criminal Sanity 1
I avoided the first wave of Harley Quinn oversaturation at DC Comics.  (She’s their version of Deadpool over at Marvel.) Outside of her appearances in the Batman animated universe, I never found her that interesting.  But on this second go around, preparation for the new Harley movie, they’ve found the thing that’ll get me to read comics with her name on the title: Excellent Elseworld twists with awesome art.  After Breaking Glass and Harleen, this is the third book in the last month that I’ve picked up starring Dr. Quinzel, and it’s just as good.

This time around, Harley’s a criminal profiler, her roommate (girlfriend?) the victim of one of Joker’s serial killings.  I like Kami Garcia’s take on her character, and I like the split art duties by Mico Suayan and Mike Mayhew (who’s clearly photo referencing everything he does.  Whoever he got for Harley bears a striking resemblance to Taylor Swift, and I’m not complaining. I love Margot Robbie, but Tay-Tay in the role is something I’d pay to watch as well.)


It could work, right?

But boy does Robbie rock this role.

DC’s Black Label is coming out with some quality product.  They’re definitely bringing me around on this Elseworlds for mature readers concept.

Switchblade Honey
Star Trek w/ Warren Ellis’ brand of doing the right thing as rudely as possible.  Not bad, not great.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Fine

Time Lincoln 1
I’m a sucker for stories involving historical figures on fantastical adventures.  (Tales from the Bully Pulpit, Rough Riders, etc)  This story by Fred Perry has all the trappings of something fun, with nice stylized art and random Cobra (from GI Joe) tributes, but it ultimately falls short of memorable.  Cutting.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: No
Rating: Didn’t suck (Cutting)

Tokyo Storm Warning 1-3
Third Warren Ellis story of the day.  This time, he’s doing Pacific Rim before Pacific Rim came out.  The twist at the end explaining the origins of the monsters and mechs is cute enough, and the art by James Raiz is impressive enough (albeit with some storytelling clarity issues), but the writing’s about as good as Switchblade Honey.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Fine

No comments:

Post a Comment