Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Stray Bullets

Stray Bullets 15-41
Stray Bullets: Killers 1-8
Amy Racecar Color Special 1-2
Yeah, I went on a binge these last couple of days, and tore through the rest of this series.  So it couldn’t have been that bad. My thoughts:

Continuing on my last post, I realize that I like the standalone stories better because David Lapham is writing about bad people.  These are characters who have, through various combinations of poor decisions and horrible environments, become unsavory characters with whom I would never wish to associate.  And because Lapham doesn’t condescend to his readers by glamorizing the violence and crimes that his motley crew commits, it’s not a very pleasant reading experience. It’s remarkably well crafted, so each introduction to a new character is exciting and gripping.  But I generally found myself less interested in spending any more time with them after their first appearance.  

The exception was with Ginny Applejack.  Here’s someone that we’ve been with from the start.  Her decisions, while often ill-advised, are a little more understandable than those of the other characters.  Plus, there’s still a chance that she pulls out of her tailspin and extracts herself from the nosedive she’s in.  (Though by the end of Killers, that’s pretty much shot to hell.)    

Hers is the story that I stuck around to read.  I cared enough about her to stick around for 21 more issues than I otherwise would have.  I wanted to know what happens to her. And now that I do, I’m glad that I stopped buying where I did (issue 28).  Her world is terrible. And the worst part is that her high school might be worse than anything she had to live through on the streets.  God, I hope my kid doesn’t have to go through any of that.  

By the way, Amy Racecar does nothing for me, except for the issue where she deals with the aftermath of Ginny’s kidnapping.  That was pretty well done.

Stray Bullets deserves the title of magnum opus.  It’s a sprawling beast of a work, executed with amazing artistry by David Lapham.  As a feat of writing, it’s really up there with the best.. But I still can’t give it a very high grade because it’s just not...enjoyable.  Kind of like Y the Last Man.  It’s good, but it doesn’t strike the emotional chord in me that would elevate it to that level of greatness.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Pretty good

No comments:

Post a Comment