Sunday, February 3, 2019

God Loves, Man Kills, Princeless, Longshot, Unstoppable Wasp


Unstoppable Wasp 4
It feels like it’s been more than a month since the last issue.  I’m happy to see it again.

Nadia goes a little crazy in her efforts to protect her friends and track down the people who hurt them.  Janet posits that Nadia may have inherited Hank Pym’s bipolar disorder. I’m looking forward to seeing how this plays out.  I trust Jeremy Whitley to handle it gracefully.

Princeless Book 2 1-4
Another Whitley creation.  I had been tempted to buy the whole series after reading the first volume.  After reading the second, I’ve changed my mind. It’s not that the quality of the series has dropped, just that I don’t need to read it over again.  I actually don’t need to read the rest of the series, either. (Though I wouldn’t say no if presented with the opportunity….(five minutes later) I just reserved the next three volumes from the library.  Hey, they’re there. Why not?)

The positive message of Adrienne breaking both her gender and class roles still carries through this book.  It remains entertaining and I like how Whitley uses additional short stories to build out the backstories of his ancillary characters.  For example, it prevents Adrienne’s father from becoming a one-note tyrannical king.

Would buy: No
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Nice

X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills
This is pretty much the textbook example of a Chris Claremont X-Men story, executed at its highest level.  It’s got all the elements: A mutant-phobic hate group eager to exterminate that which they fear and do not understand, backed by a groundswell of public support.  The X-Men showcase their abilities, both as a team and as individuals. Magneto bringing his conflicting point of view. Big speeches as everyone gets a chance to espouse their opinions on the topic.

It’s all so familiar and comforting.  Claremont’s message of tolerance and acceptance, of embracing those who are difference instead of pushing them away, is still sadly necessary almost four decades later.  Maybe I’m responding so positively to it because I haven’t read any Claremont X-Men in a long time.  It’s possible that I’m going to be completely sick of it when the time comes to read through his entire run on Uncanny.

I really like the art by Brent Anderson (who I’ve only really seen on Astro City).  His pencils are so perfect for the 80s X-Men, and Steve Oliff’s colors add an emotional darkness that isn’t usually present on the monthly title.  (This was originally published as a graphic novel.)

Don't know if this is the first time Wolverine's done this.  Won't be the last.

Modern day lynchings.  Modern then, modern now.

It’s a lamentable comment on the state of society today that I was shocked to read a situation where a police officer (correctly) shoots the white guy spouting hate instead of the members of the hated minority.  




Then there’s this scene, which I doubt Marvel would publish today.  Which makes it all the more powerful.



For all his ticks and faults, Claremont is darn good when he’s on his game.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: Yes
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Pretty good

Longshot 1-6
I remember reading this either in college or high school.  I remember it not being that good, which is probably why I didn’t keep the issues.  But I saw the TPB on sale for two dollars a year ago, and thinking that the value was too good to pass up.  (Art Adams on pencils!)

I never got around to reading it again until now.  I went into it with trepidation - Some primal part of me knew I wasn’t going to enjoy it, and I found myself putting it off for a couple of days, reading other library comics and what not.  Turns out past me from a year ago should have listened to past me from 20 years ago. This was terrible.

Sure, the Adam art is really good, but it’s actually his comic debut, and he would go on to do better and more consistent things.  This is also one of Ann Nocenti’s earlier scripts, and it’s just as incomprehensibly scattered as her later works.  (Though as with her work on Daredevil, she does come up with some truly fucked-up and memorable moments.  Ricochet Rita’s torture at the hands of Spiral is really scary and affecting.)




I really want to cut this, since the story is just atrocious.  But the art....When in doubt keep it around. I can always cut it later.

Regret buying: Yes
Would buy again: No
Would read again: No
Rating: Hated

No comments:

Post a Comment