Saturday, January 20, 2018

Nocenti/Romita Daredevil

Daredevil 269-275
Welp, it’s a little sad that whatever effort I had spent collecting Ann Nocenti’s run was mostly for naught.  I’m cutting most of it from my collection, save for the Typhoid Mary arc.  I stopped collecting with 275.  Looks like she kept going for another 16 issues.  I have no interest in searching those out.

Nocenti definitely brought something different to the table, but at the end of the day, I didn’t find it enjoyable to read, which I kinda wish wasn’t the case.  Different should be encouraged.  

Case in point: this final story arc.  It starts off as a commentary on the inhumane treatment of animals that are raised in the food industry.  And although it’s horrible to read about, I appreciate the effort to educate the reader.  Then it starts to fall apart as we learn that the owner of the farm, Skip, doesn’t just genetically engineer the animals, but fully grown women as well.  In particular, Number Nine, who’s been bred to be a Barbie-looking ditz who “cooks, cleans, is obedient, and of complete ethical character.”

When Skip’s daughter, Brandy, frees the animals in an act of eco-terrorism, Number Nine is inadvertently released as well, and imprints on Daredevil like a baby chick.  What follows is an odd clash of viewpoints - Number Nine just wants to pamper Daredevil, Brandy wants to smack some feminist sense into her, and Daredevil tries to counsel compassion to Brandy.  Mix in the revelation that Number Nine is a cutter and the Inhumans making an incomprehensible appearance, and I don’t know what we’ve got.  Something that I never want to read again.  

Regret buying? Yes
Would buy again? No
Would read again? No
Rating: Stupid

No comments:

Post a Comment