Sunday, February 17, 2019

Runaways, Magic Order, Wonder Twins

More new comics from the week!
Runaways 18
Gert saves the day just before Alex tries to ruin it.  (From a purely rational standpoint, Alex’s choice to sacrifice one for the many makes sense, but he’s still an obnoxious, smug prick, so screw him.)  It looks like Gib is about to become the Runaways’ newest member. Alex is about to gain an acolyte as an unseen Runaway offers to leave with him. Kris Anka also leaves the group, which saddens me.  He’s been such a huge part of this new volume, but Rainbow Rowell’s writing has been strong enough that I’m not going to bail for now. Let’s see how Andres Genolet does.

Magic Order 6
This miniseries has been a job from start to finish, definitely Mark Millar at the top of his game.  The good guys win in resounding fashion, and it’s completely satisfying to watch it unfold. The revelation upon which the tide of the battle turns makes me want to cheer, it’s so delightful.  This’ll be a great re-read.

Wonder Twins 1
As I continue to fall down the Wonder Comics hole, I’m starting to think that I may have found a replacement for the Bendis Superman comics that I’m dropping from my pull list.  (Superman didn’t make it home with me this week.)  I haven’t read much of Mark Russell (I think his first issue of Snagglepuss is the only other thing I’ve tried), but this is a genuinely funny book starring two of the most throwaway characters in DC history.



I don’t really buy Batman (or Superman) sharing high school embarrassment stories, but I commend the valiant attempt.  And Zan’s absolutely hilarious humiliation makes up for all of it.

Just the juxtaposition of those words is sheer genius.
Last thing I'd ever want is for Wonder Woman to know about my thunderlust.
I’m on the fence w/ Young Justice, but Wonder Twins and Naomi are looking like keepers out of the gate.  Bendis’ idea brain still has a couple good ones left in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment