Saturday, November 25, 2017

5 Ronin, 1602

I’m going to have to do this way earlier in the evening.  It’s two in the morning, and I’m pretty tired.  I’m pretty sure it’s detracting from my enjoyment of the stories.  Anyway, on to the comics.

I’m starting with the Marvel books that aren’t on my bookshelves. These are the ones that sit in boxes.  So Marvel Box #1.

5 Ronin 1-5:
I had completely forgotten that this existed.  5 issue miniseries written by Pete Milligan.  Each issue penciled by someone different.  I recognized Gorlan Parlov and Leandro Fernandez for two of them.  Presumably before their work on Ennis’ Punisher, but I can’t be sure.  

Each issue recasts a Marvel character during feudal Japanese times - Wolverine, Hulk, Punisher, Psylocke, and Deadpool.  There’s a loose overarching plot tying them together, but it’s merely serviceable at best; Each of the protagonists is trying to kill the daimyo for one reason or another.  

The reimaginings are pretty solid, but I found the Hulk and Deadpool issues to be the weakest of the bunch.  Psylocke as a geisha with an almost superhuman ability to read the minds of men was a clever take, and the Punisher’s story can be applied to any time period with very little effort.  (Which isn’t a bad thing if it’s done well.  Laurence Campbell’s art had a lot to do with it’s success.  Looking at his list of works, I believe that this is the only thing of his that I’ve read.  A shame, he’s got a style that’s very similar to Michael Lark, and I wouldn’t mind seeing more of it.)

I need to start coming up with a rating system.  I think I’ll add to it as I go and new categories become necessary.  

Regret buying?  No
Would buy again? No
Would read again?  Maybe?
Rating: Fine

1602 1-3:
I remember this being a big deal when it first came out.  I think it was Neil Gaiman’s first foray into the Marvel Universe after his work on Sandman, and I was excited to see what he would come up with.  (It appears that I’m going to be running fast and loose with my history.  There are a ton of facts that I’m probably getting wrong here, and while I would normally care, I’d rather get the words out first.  Also, this laptop is an old piece of crap, and I’m already annoyed at the lag as I type.)

I was disappointed by 1602 when I first read it, and haven’t gone back to it since.  (Starting this project with 2 Marvel Elseworlds stories, by the way.  Interesting, but not really.)  3 issues in, and my opinion hasn’t changed.  Gaiman’s thrown in a ton of winks to the audience (“ooh, look at how clever I am in translating this Marvel character over to Merrie Olde England!”), and it’s constantly distracting from the plot.  

Of course, I also think that Gaiman peaked with Sandman, and everything since then has been a sad disappointment when compared to it.  Which isn’t his fault.  It’s unfair of me to expect him to write something that would change my life for a second time, but I keep hoping for it.

To be continued tomorrow, when I finish 1602.  No rating yet, I’m going to rate by story arc when it makes sense.    

No comments:

Post a Comment