Sunday, November 26, 2017

Avengers: First to Last

Avengers: First to Last
(Collects The Last Avengers Story 1-2, plus the backup stories from Avengers Classic 1-12)

I first read The Last Avengers Story in high school when I found it in my cousin’s collection.  It was published in the post-Alex Ross Marvels period, when publishers put out a flurry of painted comics in an attempt to capitalize on the phenomenon.  (Though Kingdom Come was really the only other series that reached the same level of fame.)

Ninth day in a row with an Elseworlds story.  At least this one’s as good as I remember, which is pretty darn good.  Peter David writes of a bleak future with some moments that have stayed with me for 20 years:
  • Hotshot’s death.  “But at least it got his good side.”
  • Ultron’s surprise.  “Didn’t they wonder what happened to the other forty?”
  • The reason for Vision’s self-imposed exile is just as haunting today as when I first read it.

As a bonus, he tells it in an economical two issues.  

I picked it up in a hardcover collection with a bunch of backup of stories that covered the first 12 issues of the original Avengers.  Much like Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.  And there were a few pleasant surprises in the bunch:
  • You said it, big guy.
    I groaned when I saw that Stan Lee wrote the first story.  I love his creations and ideas, but his writing style is too flamboyant for my taste.  But there were some great lines in this one, and Kevin Maguire’s art made them even funnier.  All of Thor’s utterances were pitch perfect.
  • Dwayne McDuffie writes a slightly more ribald, but no less hilarious Thor in the second issue.  “Thor stands ever ready to offer the stick.”  





  • Michael Avon Oeming’s final panel in issue five is a sweet but melancholy shot of just-thawed Captain America relaxing in his bedroom, listening to the records of his past.


  • Tom Beland wrote a story for this!  It’s nothing special, but it’s always good to see his work.  Cap and Spidey chatting on a rooftop reminded me of the Eisner-winning Hitman/Superman issue.
  • Bonus art - The collection included the twelve covers that Art Adams did for Avengers Classic.  Art Adams doing Marvel makes me so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment