Monday, July 29, 2019

Out of the Blue, Superman: Year One

Out of the Blue 2
Average for a Garth Ennis war comic, which is still darn good.  I wasn’t sure if McKenzie was going to make it at the end - Ennis laid it on pretty thick with the “looking ahead to after the war with his wife,” which is usually the kiss of death in this kind of story.  On the minus side, I didn’t care too much either way, since McKenzie was kind of a dick to his wife almost the entire time.  

The oversize hardcover format’s really nice, but I wish the story was a little more worthy of the price.  

Superman: Year One 1
This is vintage Frank Miller.  Reading his narration is like slipping beneath some warm, cozy blankets.  There’s a comfort there that I can’t explain. After the mixed bag that was Xerxes, I wasn’t sure if Miller had anything left, but it’s clear now that he does.

Miller does more here with Clark and Lana’s high school chemistry than anything I’ve read before, including Loeb’s For All Seasons.  He manages to bring Lana closer to Gwen Stacy “past girlfriend who almost makes me forget present girlfriend” territory than anyone else.  



John Romita Jr is equally hit and miss, and he definitely hits here.  A lot of it has to do with the fine line inks by Danny Miki and the gorgeous colors from Alex Sinclair.  



I hope that Miller is able to finish this as strongly as he started.

No comments:

Post a Comment