Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Jimmy Olson, Excellence, Unstoppable Wasp, Ragnarok, Clue, Pearl

Between my new job, going to bed at a decent hour, and other life things, maintaining 30 minutes of writing every night is neither feasible or desirable anymore for me.  So new rule. I still want to write every night, but the thought of doing it for half an hour at a time has really been a mental strain. So rather than having that be a deterrent, I’m going to try doing away with it.  No time minimum on the amount I write, only that I do. I’m hoping that it’ll make for a more freeing experience. Here we go, I’ve got a ton to write single sentences about!

New comics from last week.  (I’m so far behind!)
Jimmy Olsen 1
Not sure why I tried this.  Matt Fraction on the writing credits?  The idea of Jimmy Olsen as the protagonist of a funny book appealed to me.  Ehhh. It's moderately amusing. It might be enough to warrant another month, but I’m not sure at this point.  The wink hold is pure genius, though.  




Excellence 3
Still gorgeous.  Khary Randolph continues to deliver a beautifully drawn comic.  It started off slowly as I struggled to remember who all of the characters were, but I was utterly touched to  see the lengths Spencer was willing to go through to steal just a few precious moments with his grandmother. That lovely scene, followed by the plot of a mystical bodyguard falling in love with his charge, pulled me fully back into the story.  

Unstoppable Wasp 10
Final issue :(  So very very sad about that, this has been one of my favorite books over the last year.  Pure joy is hard to come across. But I’m thrilled that we were even lucky enough to get a second volume.  I’m going to miss this comic so much, and I really hope that Jeremy Whitley brings the same magic to Future Foundation.     

Ragnarok: Breaking of Helheim 1
Walt Simonson is back with jawless Thor!  This is straight up classic fantasy, and I love both the illustration and writing of his alternate Ragnarok.  Epic stuff.


The vertical panels are so choice.

Clue: Candlestick 3
This turned out to be a fun little story.  Dunno if I’d buy it again, but I particularly loved the little Monopoly digs.  


Heh, got boring.

Pearl 11
Dude.  The conversation at the beginning of the book may be one of the best idle chatter scenes of Brian Michael Bendis’ career.  It’s classic him, and absolutely hilarious.



No comments:

Post a Comment