Saturday, July 6, 2019

GI Joe, Superman: Up in the Sky, Lois Lane, Space Bandits

Okay, another crazy long stretch of not writing.  Reason: I started a new job at the beginning of the week, and in an effort to not go to bed at 3 in the morning all the time, I’ve been calling it a night when my wife does, which is significantly earlier.  Also, it’s way healthier in all ways. So new rule: If I go to bed early, it’s okay to not write that day. Back to it.

New comics!
Space Bandits 1
The latest stab at a new Netflix IP from Mark Millar, this time with Matteo Scalera on art.  (I’m not familiar with Scalera’s work.) This one’s underwhelming. The first half shows us how a female criminal mastermind is betrayed by her four male crew members.  The second depicts the screwing over of a different female con artist at the hands of her male partner. Both women end up on a prison colony located inside a giant space lobster.  So it’s Bitch Planet with Millar’s voice.  

There’s no unique hook here to keep me interested.  I don’t have much sympathy for these protagonists, who are both criminals and stupid enough to trust their partners in crime.  No more for me.  

Lois Lane 1
A twelve-part series by Greg Rucka and Mike Perkins.  Lois Lane rouses rabbles as a reporter, investigating stories and giving a hard time to the Sarah Huckabee analog in the DC White House.  Lots of fun, and it’s made even better by what appears to be the Renee Montoya Question. (I really hope it’s her behind the mask.) 

Superman: Up in the Sky 1
DC finally starts collecting the new stories from their giant sized Walmart comics.  (I think the Bendis Batman follows next week.)  I’ve been looking forward to this one because of the Tom King writing.  (Andy Kubert on art doesn’t hurt.) Superman goes off into space in search of a little girl who’s been abducted by aliens.  So far so good, that’s the kind of thing Superman does.  

But then King puts him into some kind of dream sequence where his brain’s processing data so vast that it destroyed a Rannian supercomputer.  Makes no sense. I suppose Superman can have a Superbrain, but it’s a little too far removed from what I’m used to, and the execution’s too sloppy for me to buy it.  

This scene’s still terrifying, though.



GI Joe 71, 74-80, 84, 85, 87, 104, 109, 110, 112, 115, 120, 136, 137
The remaining issues of my Marvel GI Joe collection.  At the end of the day, any nostalgia I have for the IP isn’t enough to overcome the not-so-good writing.  Like the cartoon, the comic was far better in my childhood memory than in reality. I’d probably cut these if quality was the only factor.  But my future kids might like reading these as much as I did, so keeping them around. On to some comments.  

Issue 74 starts the invasion of Cobra Island.  Hama really enjoys his massive battles between GI Joe and Cobra, where he can create complex strategies and utilize all the characters on the roster.  I’m a fan of them too, they’re generally more fun than the other stories.

So many toys to play with!


Like with Cobra Commander, Larry Hama casually dispatches Serpentor, and devotes almost no time to any kind of emotional aftermath.  He dies and everything goes on without him.



Why is Cross Country wearing Sgt Slaughter’s shirt?



At least it’s being honest:



Zartan’s as good at pool as Cyclops.




Haggis.  Sometimes I really don’t get the tone Hama’s going for.



Issue 109 is the start of the storyline where Hama massacres seven Joes over three issues.  It’s odd that after all this time, with the amount of ammunition that’s been expended with these two sides trying to kill each other, that Cobra has such a problem killing Joes.  But here are Tomax, Xamot, Cobra Commander, and a bunch of Vipers all expressing qualms about shooting Doc, Quick Kick, and the others. Only the SAW Viper doesn’t have a problem with it.  The ethical struggle baffles me with everything that’s been established so far with these characters.

And then, after all that, the deaths are handled almost dismissively.  Maybe it’s the poor art, but there’s something very offputting about it.  



And then after three issues of Joes vowing revenge on the SAW Viper who killed everyone, their vengeance is handled off screen with no emotional release.

Literally the last time he's seen or mentioned.


I don’t know wtf Hama was thinking with Cool Breeze, the cocky, urban slang slinging recon Joe with..cybernetic arms and a sword?  And a backwards baseball cap? His death could not have come quickly enough.

John Statema did him no favors on the art, either.


It’s around this time that Snake Eyes went through a couple of horrible costume changes...  



...Ending with his membership on Ninja Force, wearing the most garish outfits imaginable.  These people are supposed to blend in?



The toymakers had totally jumped the shark by now, and Hama had to follow suit.  I mean, this is Cobra Commander:



I have no need to fill in any more of the gaps in this run.

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? No
Would read again? No
Rating: Didn’t suck

No comments:

Post a Comment