Saturday, June 22, 2019

Anna, Clue, Pearl

Anna
The latest in a line of movies that could be a Black Widow prequel, after Atomic Blonde and Red Sparrow.  It’s the one that I had the most fun with out of the three - Atomic Blonde had more visceral fights sequences, but the plot bored the heck out of me.  Red Sparrow’s violence was too gruesome (That skin peeler.  *shudder*), and the plot bored the heck out of me.  

Anna has great action scenes, and the story of a spy fighting to win her freedom is solid enough along with all of the twists and turns.  It’s not at complex or sophisticated as the other two movies, but it’s more engaging. Sasha Luss makes herself a sympathetic character, and I was invested in the success of her missions and ultimate goal.  



I went into this looking for mindless fun, and it surpassed my expectations.  The fun was there, but of the variety that I’d happily watch again. Of the ones I’ve seen, it’s on the top end of the Luc Besson’s films.  (Better than Lucy, Bandidas, Transporter 1 and 2, La Femme Nikita, worse than Taken and Leon.) I’m mostly likely going to pick this up when it comes out on DVD.

Regret watching: No
Would watch again: Yes
Would buy on DVD: Yes
Rating: Nice

New comics for the week:
Clue: Candlestick 2
Dash Shaw digs a little deeper into Miss Scarlett, a serial killer who kills the artists that use her as a muse.  I like the background he gave her, and her murder was well executed on an artistic level.



Not sure how I feel about all the puzzles - They’re nifty in theory, and I’d consider trying them out if it didn’t mean marking up my copy.

Do they really expect me to write on the page?


Pearl 10
A lot of entertaining talking, but nothing new to really talk about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment