Friday, November 16, 2018

Mister Miracle, Skyward, Superman, Unstoppable Wasp, Mage

New comics!
Skyward 8
A neat twist at the end had me breathing a sigh of relief - I would have been very disappointed if Joe Henderson had followed through with the trite, overused plot he was using.  Instead, I’m still pleased as punch with this title. Keep it coming!

This issue's obligatory beautiful Lee Garbett art.

Superman 5
How long can nothing continue to happen?  This entire arc has been so devoid of anything interesting.  If it weren’t Bendis writing it, I would have dumped this issues ago.  If this arc doesn’t conclude next issue, I’m most likely not going to buy it.  

Mage: The Hero Denied 13
Two issues from the end, and I’m so tempted to not buy the rest.  What’s future me going to wish I did? Will I be disappointed that I don’t have the last two issues, or will I end up cutting the first thirteen anyway?  

Matt Wagner’s Grendel is so much better than Mage.  I’ve never had the urge to re-read Mage.  Huh.  Why am I buying this title??

And yet….

Unstoppable Wasp 2
I love love love this title.  There’s so much joy and optimism and fun and smiles and laughter.  It’s everything that’s good in this world in comic book form. If every person on Earth read this, it would eradicate road rage and talking during movies.  What else has Jeremy Whitley written? Princeless, huh?  Sounds good, now reserving at the library!

Mister Miracle 12
Whaaaaaa…….Okay.  So. Scott is living in this life where he’s happily married, one and a half children, and Highfather of the New Gods.  And it might all be some kind of dream where Scott’s trapped in the Anti-Life Equation. The apparition of his father comes out and says it - Scott has the option of returning to reality, but can’t bring himself to leave this seductively normal (for Scott) life.  

Or is Scott doing ‘fine’ and just having hallucinations of the dead people in his life?  

Is he dead from his suicide attempt back in issue one?  Is he in heaven? Is he a comic book character controlled by the whims of whoever’s writing him at the time?

I don’t know, I don’t care (in a good way), and it seems like Scott’s come to the same conclusion.  He’s happy, so who cares what real is? It’s not that he’s choosing to stay in the Matrix. He’s decided to entirely ignore the question of where he is at all.  

Not as good as Vision, but that’s one of the masterpieces from the history of comic books.  It’s still pretty fricking amazing, and the re-read’s going to rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment