Friday, November 9, 2018

Ex Machina, Runaways, Wasp, Skyward

More new comics.
Skyward 7
Still beautifully illustrated, but the concept of insect knights strays a little too far from the scientific grounding that I like so much about this title.  Hopefully, Joe Henderson won’t tarry in this part of his universe for too long.

Great art...

...but a little too close to this for my liking.

Runaways 15
Ahh, back to Kris Anka on pencils, and it feels so good.  Unfortunately, the story involves Nico making an incredibly short-sighted deal with her staff.  In no way is the staff gradually introducing its own blood into Nico going to turn out well in any way.  Nico’s stupidity infuriates me.

Unstoppable Wasp 1
I am so happy that this title is back, with Jeremy Whitley returning as the writer.  The previous series was packed with joy and positivity, without coming across as saccharine or pandering to a younger audience.  I was saddened by its ending, and thrilled that Marvel’s brought it back. That it’s blatantly trying to encourage girl interest in STEM disciplines is more than okay with me.  

Ex Machina 1-12
Another in a long line of Brian K Vaughan comics that I didn’t get very far into.  

Mitchell Hundred is the Mayor of New York in 2002.  He used to be a superhero, with the ability to communicate with machines and order them around.  He got his power from an alien device planted at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge. The comic bounces around all of these phases of his life, focusing mostly on his time as mayor.  

As we learn in the first issue, Hundred’s career change pivots around the terrorist attacks on September 11th.  In this reality, he succeeds in saving one of the towers.

Chilling.

Even today, that image evokes an emotional response from me.  When this came out in 2004 it was more than enough to earn a couple more purchased issues.  As was the controversial piece of art involving Abraham Lincoln in the second issue.

No, this isn’t the piece, this was the cover to the issue.

I debated whether it would be acceptable to post the actual image here.  I ultimately decided it was not. It gets into issues of race, art, and expression that are too complex to explore here.  And it’s safer to err on the side of discretion.



Am I wussing out?  Yes. It’s a conversation I’m happy to have face to face, but not anonymously here.  

Vaughan also covers gay marriage in these issues, essentially mirroring SF Mayor Gavin Newsom’s actions in the real world.  (Though Vaughan takes the easy way out by mentioning the political and social hoopla that would follow without actually dealing with it after the wedding.)  

Tony Harris does really good work, but it doesn’t approach his apex on Starman.  

What does this remind me of?  Ah, yes:


Ex Machina joins the other comics on my list of “Things I’d like to finish reading, as long as I don’t have to pay for it.”  Someday.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Nice

No comments:

Post a Comment