Sunday, January 14, 2018

Daredevil

This marks the start of my non-Frank Miller 80’s Daredevil collection.  I’m not expecting great things here; I bought the Ann Nocenti run ages ago, and I don’t think I’ve re-read them since.  (I think I got it for the Typhoid Mary arc, which I'll talk more about when I get there.)

Daredevil 208
I tracked this issue down because Harlan Ellison wrote this, and the idea of a famous science fiction author scripting a comic sounded like such a novel (sorry!) thing back when I was in college (or whenever I bought this).  Daredevil is lured into a deathtrap, and spends the issue escaping.  I spent the entire read thinking how ridiculous it all was, but still found myself utterly charmed by its blatant impossibilities.  It helps that Daredevil continually calls out the injuries he is accumulating as he overcomes each successive obstacle.  That little splash of human frailty in a sea of inhuman physical accomplishment makes all the difference.

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Nice


Daredevil 223
The Beyonder gives Matt his sight back in this Secret Wars II tie-in.  I kept thinking that this scenario would be treated so differently with today’s comic writing sensibilities.  If nothing else, it would have more than 6 pages devoted to the concept.  Still, it’s decently written by Denny O’Neil and Jim Shooter.  David Mazzucchelli does the art, and it’s hard to believe that this is the same artist that’s going to blow the roof off 4 issues later with Born Again; His work his is entirely average.

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? No
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Nice

Daredevil 234-235
Mark Gruenwald and Danny Fingeroth write these two filler issues.  Completely forgettable, and they will no longer be wasting space in my collection.

Regret buying? Yes
Would buy again? No
Would read again? No
Rating: Stupid

Daredevil 236
Comments:
  • What a wonderful surprise it is to open a comic and be greeted by the joy of Barry Windsor-Smith art.
  • I think I’m been spoiled by the modern day treatment of Black Widow as a badass who doesn’t take any crap from idiots.  There’s no way she would let a group of guys talk to her that way. 
  • The most compelling bit of the story is the soldier’s nephew.  He stands there silently as the insane Jack Hazzard rants about patriotism, hands him a handcannon, and goes off to get killed.  The final panels as he plays with the very loaded gun while fireworks shoot off on Independence Day are haunting.



Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes
Would read again? No
Rating: Fine

Daredevil 237  
Written by John Harkness, which sounded like a pseudonym.  A quick search confirmed that it was written by Steve Englehart.  He suggests that Ann Nocenti stole what would have been a regular run on the title from him, though judging from this issue, the readers didn’t really miss out on all that much.  Dropping.

Regret buying? Yes
Would buy again? No
Would read again? No
Rating: Stupid

No comments:

Post a Comment