Sunday, January 7, 2018

Captain America vol. 5, 65th Anniversary Special

Captain America vol 5 8-9, 11-21
Things did not bode well at first, as the trade starts with two more issues of wheel spinning.  Two important things happen: Nick Fury finally tells Captain America that he thinks the Winter Soldier is Bucky, and Crossbones kidnaps the brainwashed daughter of the Red Skull.  The rest is pointless saber rattling and navel gazing.  

Issue ten wasn’t collected in the trade because it was part of the House of M crossover.  (Which I don’t have.)  

It seems like a tie-in interlude was just what Brubaker needed, because things finally kick into gear after that.  Through the narrative device of a Soviet military file, he spends a full issue summarizing Bucky’s survival, brainwashing, and missions as an operative for General Karpov.  This leads directly to Cap channelling Luke Skywalker’s “I know there’s still good in him, we can turn him back” bit for a couple more issues.  Then more hoop jumping to track Bucky, when we finally get the big fight between Cap and his old buddy.  I had forgotten that Bucky regains his memories not through the standard “I won’t fight you / snap the person out of the amnesia” plea, but with the deus ex machina of the Cosmic Cube.  

Huh.  I enjoyed these issues way more when I was reading them, but upon recapping them, the same flaws as the first trade become more apparent.  There’s still a ton of padding in these comics.  And while they’re probably entertaining enough on a month-to-month basis, they don’t hold up as nicely when read as a long-form story.  

Crossbones deprograms Skull’s daughter, Synthia Schmidt, and they embark on a Bonny and Clyde-esque terror spree through the midwest.  It’s actually pretty fun.

Then Steve and Sharon spend four issues in London with Union Jack and Spitfire, and I’m back to not really caring about what happens.  Certainly not a ringing endorsement.  Though I do like Steve and Sharon as a couple.  Brubaker writes them with good chemistry.

I haven’t mentioned Epting’s art yet, because I don’t have much to say about it.  I’ve always found his art to be like successful user interface in a video game - when it’s well done, no one notices it.  I don’t think I’ll be showing much of his art in the coming days.  It’s not good in the sense that I actively like it, but I recognize the ability and craft in his work.  However, I do want to call out the cover of issue 12.  I’ve never seen Cap carry his shield by the straps before, and combined with his body language, it’s an effective way of showing how low his spirits have sunk.   



Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes (No for 18-21)
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Fine (for everything except for 11-17, which were Nice)

Captain America 65th Anniversary Special
Considering how much he relies on them, Brubaker doesn’t get the most out of his flashbacks.  He uses this extra-length issue to fill in the backstory of a romance that I had no interest in.  Though I will grudgingly admit that it was cutely told, even if it was a bit generic and Bucky throws out a ton of annoying 1940’s “You fight well for a girl” condescension.  

I like how vintage this feels.

Marcos Martin and Javier Pulido do great work though, and elevate this issue higher up than it probably deserves to be.

Cap just floats on his fingertips.  So graceful.

Man, I wish Garth Ennis had written this; Seeing as how he has no peer when it comes to writing war stories, I believe he would have knocked this out of the park.    

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Nice

No comments:

Post a Comment