Thursday, May 6, 2021

Batman/Huntress, Batman/Deathblow, Gotham Knights

Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood 1-6

I wish Rick Burchett stuck with his animated style for this series.  He opted instead for a hybrid between that and a more ‘traditional’ comic look.  The result is a muddled mess that doesn’t really succeed on any front.  


The story by Greg Rucka is pretty good.  The origin of the Huntress isn’t the most original, with plenty of Godfather references, a martial arts training interlude, and a “despite all my growth these past six issues, my inner demons are too strong and I’ll never be fully redeemed.  This is who I am, *angst*” ending.  That said, it’s still executed rather well, and I was entertained the whole time.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Nice


Batman/Deathblow 1

A completely unnecessary crossover with decent art by Lee Bermejo and a forgettable plot from Brian Azzarello (once again making me question why I own as many of his comics as I do).  Welp, no longer owning this one.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: No

Rating: Didn’t suck


Batman: Gotham Knights 17, 18, 32

Some random single issue stories by Devin Grayson, who has definitely got a handle on the human side of Bruce Wayne.  Here we’ve got Bruce naming Dick Grayson as his heir, moping around all alone in his huge mansion, and spending a day doing good as Bruce Wayne (and Batman).  These are all charming studies of the man behind the cowl, and a nice change of pace from the other stories I’ve been reading.


A glimpse into what someone with that much money could do.

Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Fine for 17, Pretty good for the rest




No comments:

Post a Comment