Monday, March 1, 2021

The Boys

The Boys 1-72

Herogasm 1-6

Highland Laddie 1-6

Butcher, Baker, Candlestickmaker 1-6

The first time around, I stopped buying this after issue 14.  It wasn’t bad, but not worth continuing.  Years later, I was in London and saw a bunch of the trades for five bucks apiece.  Seeing as how Garth Ennis is one of my favorite writers, I decided to give it another shot.  After that, I was pot committed and finished out the run in trade paperbacks.  


Going into the re-read, I had memories of Garth Ennis at his unrestrained worst - gore, shock value, sexual depravity (I have no objections to any of that, but there’s got to be a worthy payoff), and an unsatisfying conclusion.  I wasn’t expecting great things from this.


I tore through 90 issues in 6 days.  And while it certainly isn’t close to Ennis’ best work, it’s not the mess that I remember.  It’s the lowlights that stand out to me:


Hughie’s treatment of Annie when he discovers her secret is inexcusable.  Highland Laddie is a boring, pointless mess, redeemed only by the appearance of Annie.  Butcher’s final plan is so horrible and mean-spirited that it leaves a wretched feeling in my stomach.


On the plus side, Annie is the best part of the comic.  Her growth is great to read, and though she really deserves better than wishy-washy Hughie, I like seeing her get her happy ending.  


The Ennis Excess, rather than ruining The Boys, is what makes it worth keeping around.  His twisted takes on classic superhero teams are hilarious in their fucked up way.  He’s willing to take things to the next level of “wow, he really went there,” and I gotta say that it usually works for me.  


Nice parody of Frank Quitely...



Basically an issue-long Aliens parody...





The original scene:



Love Frenchie and the Female's idea of stress.

Years before John Wick

I'd feel worse if he wasn't such a bastard.

Frenchie and the Female have one of the best relationships in the comic.

Which makes this sequence heartbreaking.

Sigh.


Definitely readable and I’ll keep it around, but I honestly don’t know if I’ll ever come back to this.  

Comparing it to the tv show: Hughie is a lot more likable in the show, so his relationship with Annie is even better there.  The plane crash sequence, as horrible as it is in the show, is even more tragic in the comic; the incompetence and inhumanity of the Seven is magnitudes worse.  


The biggest difference is with Homelander; he’s genuinely scary in the show, and I’m always on pins and needles when he’s on screen - I have no idea if he’s going to lash out and kill whoever’s in front of him.  (Kudos again to Antony Starr.)  There’s never that sense of dread with him in the comic, even with his body count.  


I’m not sure which one I like better.  Probably the show.  


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Pretty good at the beginning, Nice by issue 30.  Highland Laddie Didn’t Suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment