Saturday, March 13, 2021

Valiant Comics, Grendel, New comics

New comics!

Doctor Doom 6-10

I ordered this trade before I’d read the first one.  Based off the first five issues, I wouldn’t have kept going.  Thankfully, the tail end of this series is a lot better than the first.  Doom’s visions of himself as the leader of a world utopia are finally explained, and they set up an amazing character study that tragically explains why he will never ultimately win.  I was doubting the hype around writer Christopher Cantwell for most of this run, but the ending’s convinced me to keep an eye out for more of his stuff.


That is indeed the proper reaction to someone riding a bear.

That last line is so Doom

Misc box 8 actually finished with the end of Walking Dead.

Box summary

Time spent reading: 23 hours 35 minutes

Issues read: 295

Issues cut: 12

Highlights (Good or better): All of Walking Dead


Project Summary:

Time spent reading: 34 days, 16 hours, 12 minutes

Issues read: 7235

Issues cut: 856


Delinquents 1-4

I liked the Archer and Armstrong trade.  I find Quantum and Woody to be pretty amusing.  A team-up between the two duos in search of a hobo treasure sounds like the perfect, light-hearted jaunt I’d be in the market for.


Utter fail.  There are moments of levity, but the story left me completely bored.  Easy cut.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: No

Rating: Boring (Cut)


X-O Manowar 1-8

A perfect example of replacement level entertainment.  I enjoyed my time reading it, would read it again, but will never go out of my way to do it.  


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Nice


Grendel: Devil by the Deed

I love this comic every single time that I read it.  More an illustrated novella than a comic, this Matt Wagner creation is the beginning of an epic, amazing saga of evil and comic book mastery.  And to think he started this at nineteen years of age.  The art is gorgeous with its art deco motifs, and the writing is utterly captivating.  I rarely have patience for such large blocks of text in comics (see: Alan Moore’s later LoEG), but I’ll read this stuff all day long.


Love the body language on Larry

Sweet wheel of death.

So pretty.

Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Pure joy


No comments:

Post a Comment