Thursday, April 11, 2019

Superman/Batman, Prodigy, Unstoppable Wasp, Wonder Twins

New comics!
Wonder Twins 3
A fine effort, but I don’t see myself needing to revisit these last three issues again.  A clear sign to stop buying Wonder Twins.  I thought Gleek might provide some humor, but Mark Russell chose instead to show his traumatic background with only a minor and unsatisfying resolution.  Ah well, I tried.

Alas, the comic did not live up to the promise of the cover.

I can't tell if he's sarcastic or sincere.  Either way, it's hilarious.

I didn’t make the connection until now, but the penciller, Stephen Byrne, did the art on Mera: Tidebreaker as well.  I hope to see him on more things in the future.

Unstoppable Wasp 6
Now this is how do you do a comic ostensibly geared towards YA.  Nadia Pym and her colleagues are delightful, and it’s a joy to read about their adventures and relationships.  Jeremy Whitley makes no effort to disguise his messages of acceptance, understanding, and empowerment, but when they’re presented so sincerely and satisfactorily, I have no objection.  Indeed, my only wish is to read more of them.

Prodigy 5
It’s nice to see Edison Crane be proven wrong in several instances this issue, first by the surgeon who saves his life, and then by Rachel.  It’s not a good sign that I have to look up the protagonist’s name even after five issues, but I’m still enjoying Prodigy.  With an issue to go, I’d rank it just above average on the list of Mark Millar’s miniseries.  

Superman/Batman 26
An IRL gutpunch of an issue.  Jeph Loeb collaborates with a host of generous artists to bring to life a story written by his recently deceased son, Sam.  The sadness of the backstory makes it impossible for me to give this any rating other than Major Feels, and there are quite a number of moments that make my lower lip tremble.     

Love the cleanness of the art here.

I can't imagine how Jeph Loeb managed to write this.


Regret buying? No
Would buy again? No
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Major Feels

Superman/Batman 27
Superman and Batman’s mind are transplanted into Power Girl and Huntress.  Jeph Loeb’s departure from the title was enough to get me to stop buying it.  (I presume the last major story arc has something to do with it too…)

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? No
Would read again? No
Rating: Didn’t suck (Cutting)

No comments:

Post a Comment