Sunday, April 8, 2018

The Nam, Astro City, Runaways

I technically finished Marvel Box 5 a couple of days ago, since Hawkeye is staying on the shelf.  Numbers!

Box Summary:
Time spent reading: 23 hours, 30 minutes
Issues read: 209
Issues cut: 34
Highlights (Good or better): Incredible Hulk 417, 418, 420; Ka-Zar 1-6; Hawkeye 1-13, 21, 22, Hawkeye Annual 1

Project Summary:
Time spent reading: 126 hours, 57 minutes
Issues read: 930
Issues cut: 125

New comics!
Runaways 8
When did Doctor Doom go evil again?  He’s doing the reformed act over in Iron Man right now, did something change?  Is this a Doombot?

I like that this issue emphasizes the fact that these kids really aren’t a team in the usual sense of the term.  They don’t train together or know how to fight as a group. Karolina is accurate when she says, “We’re not a team, we’re a family.”  Powers and enthusiasm have kept them going, but this battle shows how ill-prepared they are to handle a serious threat. Is Julie Power going to whip them into shape?  I hope so, it could make for a fun read.

Love how accepting Victor is with being a disembodied head.  

Astro City 51
Hated this issue.  I’ve never like seeing people who lash out in anger at others as a way of dealing with their own pain.  I don’t care if it’s grief, it’s still a dick move. Especially if your target is Michael Tenicek, who’s gone through just as much pain as you have.  The readers know his story, and to have characters in the story disbelieve it pisses me off to no end. It feels like they’re attacking one of the best comic issues ever, and it offends me.  

Also, massive continuity error three pages from the end where Brent Anderson draws Ruby with two hands.  

The Nam 1-6
I could be writing about this for over two weeks.  84 issues, and I think I have most of it. I question my ability to come up with enough material, but we’ll see :)

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Nice

No comments:

Post a Comment