Monday, April 2, 2018

Fraction/Aja Hawkeye


Hawkeye 1-7
I’m reading Hawkeye now because I finished Marvel Box 4 yesterday.  But because of all the comics that I cut, there’s a good amount of room left in the box.  I can’t move stuff over from Box 5, because The Nam is next, and I don’t have 80 issues worth of space, and the OCD part of me doesn’t want to split a title between boxes.  So I looked at my shelf comics to see if I had anything that would fit, and Hawkeye fit the bill. I haven’t gone back to it since I first bought it, and while I liked it, I didn’t remember it as good enough to keep on the shelf.  

Big ass mistake.  These comics are really really good.  Issue three may be as near to perfect fun as a comic can get, requiring the newly-formed “Everything I love about comics” rating.  Don’t see how I can keep this off the shelf, which doesn’t solve my not-full box problem. Sigh.

Anyways, back to the comic.  I bought this on the strength of Matt Fraction and David Aja’s prior collaboration on Iron Fist, which was sensational.  Plus, I love the Archer archetype, whether it’s the two Hawkeyes, Oliver Queen, Connor Hawke, Jessica Biel in Blade 3, Legolas, Merida, the list goes on.  

I’ve decided that Matt Fraction could totally write a kick-ass Jessica Jones.  Fraction’s Clint Barton and Bendis’ Jessica Jones are two peas in a pod, I’d love to see Fraction’s take on the owner of Alias Investigations.  I didn’t think anyone could follow Bendis, but Fraction nails the down-on-their-luck nothing-goes-their-way everyperson, the screwup with good intentions and a million character flaws.  Six of the first seven issues of this run start with Clint narrating some version of “This looks bad.” And it’s usually worse than bad.

I’ll probably talk more about issue 3 tomorrow.  Considering how much I loved it, it’d be a shame not to.  But the rest of today will rave about David Aja. His art is deceivingly simple, but the thought behind the composition of each panel is clearly evident.

Beautiful, clear storytelling.

A simple, brilliant flip of the camera to show both sides of the room.  Took me a second to catch it.

Like the sidescrollers of the 90s

Such a fun game.

A hero standing up for his little slice of world.

As fill-in artists go, Javier Pulido ain't shabby.
I have so much more to say.  I’ll continue tomorrow because I really need to go to bed.

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Really good.  (Everything I Love About Comics for issue 3. Updated to Pure Joy)

No comments:

Post a Comment