Exquisite Corpses 1-8
Borrowed from the library because the title appealed to me, James Tynion IV doesn’t suck, and the concept of 12 assassins/serial killers duking it out in a sealed off little town was pretty interesting. Unfortunately, Tynion appears to be the big picture guy, with a different writer doing the heavy lifting w/ each each. Same w/ the mishmash of artists.
This was not a fun read. It’s such a hopeless situation for the townspeople that there’s no entertainment value in the experience. The killers don’t have enough charisma to sustain the story either. And the constant return to the shadowy overlords (one from each of the original US states, vying for control of the country) doesn’t add anything. Not going to read any more of this.
New comics!
Death Vigil 1-8
Definitely the weakest of Stjepan Sejic’s comicography. To be fair, it’s an insane list of comics he’s worked on. But this reads like his take on a generic manga, with a large cast of visually interesting characters, overly-complicated lore/rules, and lots of battle scenes that ultimately don’t engage me all that much.
I’ll have to re-read the second volume now, I’m sure it’ll make a lot more sense. I’ll also keep buying it, since Sejic is worth supporting. Even less good Sejic is worth reading.
Wonder Woman 37
Very much a setup issue. I didn’t think I’d ever be saying this, but Tom King’s characterization of a perfect Diana is starting to wear a bit thin on me. At first, it was simply badass. But now, it’s starting to smack of self-righteousness. Even though she’s right. Hopefully this feeling doesn’t last, because I want to keep loving this title.
Daredevil 7
I had to buy this issue because I didn’t cancel last month in time. I’ve already forgotten what happened in the last two months. No regrets about halting my sub.
Dark Knights of Steel II 3
Amanda Waller completes her coup, killing the queen and installing herself as regent. Tom Taylor’s doing nice work with this, but it still hasn’t reached DCeased levels.
Detective Comics 1113
Jeff Spokes isn’t a bad fill in for Mikel Janin at all. This continues the story from Batman as the Bad Seeds event continues. Batman fights to stop the blimps from releasing their toxin over Gotham. Not bad.
Absolute Cassandra Cain 1
Matias Bergara gives off major Kevin O’Neill vibes with his art here. It’s a nicely done action story, but nothing stand out.
No comments:
Post a Comment