New comics!
Fantastic Four 17
The “team’s lost their memory and need to figure out their powers and interpersonal dynamics” thing feels a little overused, but Ryan North does a good enough job with it. And it works without the reader needing to know anything about the DNX crossover it’s tying into, so bonus points for that.
Absolute Wonder Woman 24
I just love this title so much when Kelly Thompson and Hayden Sherman are together on it. It’s a perfect mix of exhilarating action, character beats, and gorgeous art. I need to find the time to read it all at once, I still haven’t done that.
Alien vs X-Men 1
This reminds me a lot of Warren Ellis’ WildCATs/Aliens, where the xenomorphs kill off a bunch of mainstays early on, setting up the main event to follow. Kieron Gillen gets things off to a good start, but hopefully it doesn’t fall apart the way Aliens vs Avengers did.
Wonder Woman 2026 Annual
Tom King lets Stephanie and Leah Williams tell the origin of the Matriarch. Blah blah she’s been selfish as a kid blah blah. It’s competent enough, but doesn’t make Matriarch any more of an interesting character to me.
Absolute Batman 24
I’m honestly surprised at how much my enthusiasm for this title has plummeted. There’s something going on w/ the introduction of Absolute Batgirl, but I find myself just not caring at all. A few more months of this and I’m likely to drop it.
Batman of Two Worlds 1
Something DC put out for Batman Day, which I didn’t know was a thing. This reads like a Free Comics Book Day kind of issue with short stories featuring the Matt Fraction Batman and Snyder’s Absolute Batman. Totally not worth paying three bucks for.
Last Driver 2
I’m totally in this for the art, because Sean Murphy’s writing isn’t holding up its end of the bargain.
Flash 37
Flash gets into an ethics debate w/ this JLA teammates, and comes across as a simple-minded idiot when he’s unable to even acknowledge the gray area of his Minority Report actions. It’s all a moot point when a catastrophe he supposedly prevented occurs anyway. I hope his failing precog doesn’t let him off the hook for his philosophical failings.
Beneath the Trees Where Nobody Sees Halloween Special
I was saddened to discover that creator Patrick Horvath only did the wrapper scenes for this anthology issue. But the various teams all do a great job, and certainly capture the same creepy spirit Horvath brought to the original two miniseries. Looking forward to the next arc when it comes out in 2027.
Superman: The Stranger 2
Wes Craig nails the 1920’s vibe with this story. It really feels like a spiritual companion to For All Seasons. Can’t put my finger on why, but that’s the feeling I get when I read this, even though it isn’t as Norman Rockwell.
Batman 14
Batman looks for Mr Freeze while Verity Pennyworth takes on a trio of cop looters at the mansion. Eh.
Death Vigil 3
More of the same. Again, not Stjepan Sejic’s best, but it might be growing on me.
No comments:
Post a Comment