Thursday, September 28, 2023

New comics

New comics!

Wonder Woman 1

Tom King starts yet another title.  (He’s really quite prolific.)  Things get extreme pretty fast as America pretty much declares war on the Amazons.  There’s a rapid escalation that immediately brings Doomsday Clock to mind.  (The part where things go nuts with Firestorm and Superman.)  As always, no idea where King’s going with this.  Also no idea how this exists in the main DC canon, it feels way more like a Black Label kind of story.


Titans 3

This is the “one more issue” that I said I’d give Titans, and Tom Taylor and Nicola Scott don’t do enough with it.  I think it’s the Titans team itself.  They’ve never clicked with me.  Donezo.


Nightwing 106

Thank goodness Taylor’s as good as ever here.  It’s the start of a new story, and apparently Dick goes all pirate.  I’ll keep an open mind.  I hope Bruno Redondo comes back soon, but Stephen Byrne is a decent substitute.


Superman 6

Speaking of sub artists, I hope Gleb Melnikov isn’t permanent.  He doesn’t suck or anything, but his style is so different from the so good Jamal Campbell; There’s an Ed McGuinness/ Humberto Ramos hybrid quality to it.  


The story’s also fine, but nothing super memorable.  I might have one issue left in me.


Rare Flavours 1

Ram V. and Filipe Andrade team up again, and after the joy of Laila Starr, I wasn’t going to let it stay on the shelf.  (Kudos to the distinctive cover, I wouldn’t have checked it out otherwise; I didn’t know about this comic beforehand.)  It’s off to an intriguing start, I’ve already put this on my pull list.

No comments:

Post a Comment