Sunday, July 16, 2023

Movies

Extraction

Not a bad action film, with an amazing ‘oner.’  (Nothing’s really a oner anymore, they’re just really good at editing now.)  Chris Hemsworth is a fine star for this kind of thing, but I’ll never revisit this.  Shout out to Golshifteh Farahani, who shines in her support role as Chris’ “person in a chair.”


Regret watching? No

Would watch again? Yes

Would buy on DVD? No

Rating: Nice


Fast 9

The Fast franchise peaked with 5.  6 was really good.  (26 mile runway!)  7 was entertaining.  (Goodbye, Paul Walker)  8’s where they lost me.  (Submarine?  Really?)  Which meant that I didn’t watch 9 when it came out.  (I wouldn’t have even if it wasn’t in the middle of COVID.)  


Still, it seemed like something that’d be good to let run in the background when it showed up for free on some streaming site.  All I knew about this one is that they send a car into space.


It turns out that isn’t even the worst thing about this movie, which is insultingly bad.  That’s really all I’m going to say about it.  Insultingly bad.  


Regret watching? Yes

Would watch again? No

Would buy on DVD? No

Rating: Hated


Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

I had no expectations for the first film.  I had every expectation for this one.  And it delivered on every front.  Just thinking about this movie makes me happy.  Let’s get to it:
Things I liked:

  • Gwen Stacy.  This is her movie as much as Miles’, and I couldn’t be happier.  Everything about her works, from the voice acting by Hailee Steinfeld to her watercolored-universe.  Her upside-down scene with Miles is one of the most quietly beautiful sequences I’ve ever seen.  

  • Spider-Man India.  His recap is absolutely joyful, and I love the idea of Mumbahattan

  • All the cameos.  I probably caught 5% of them, and they’re awesome.

  • Excellent use of the multiverse.  With the proliferation of the concept across the film industry, Spider-Verse uses it better than most.  Mixing in the live-action Spider-Men was sweet, though I was hoping for more than cameos.  I want to see Tom Holland in all his glory alongside the rest of the gang!

  • Miles’ parents.  I continue to love Rio and Jeff, they’re supporting, loving, and firm.  They’re doing their best

  • The cliffhanger worked for me; I had no idea it was coming, and can’t wait to see the next one.

  • Great use of the Spot.  Portal work never fails to impress.  (See: Portal the game, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Incredibles 2)

  • Miguel O’Hara was totally drawn w/ a John Romita Jr face.  It’s impossible to miss.

  • This is a beautiful movie.  This is the only exhibit needed to show what makes animation special.


I’m not sure if it’s as good as the first movie, but it’s awfully close.


Regret watching? No

Would watch again? Yes

Would buy on DVD? Yes

Rating: Pure joy


No comments:

Post a Comment