Monday, July 24, 2023

Movies

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1

Very, very well done.  Let’s get to it.

What I liked:

  • Hayley Atwell.  I will love her in anything she’s in.

  • Rebecca Ferguson continues to be the best part of these movies.  I love her even more than Hayley Atwell.  Ilsa Faust as a sniper continues to bowl me over.  That little look she gives before the sword fight on the bridge.  The moment she decides to drop her shields and be completely content and happy with Ethan Hunt on the balcony in Venice.

  • The Rome chase scene.  The doughnuts by the Spanish Steps were hilarious.  

  • Pom Klementieff.  Only the second role I’ve seen her in, and this is completely different from her ditziness as Mantis.  She’s basically Asian Harley Quinn here, and I love it.  The babyface turn feels cliche and unearned, but I’m not going to complain if it means we see more of her in Part 2.

  • Nice to see Henry Czerny back as Kittridge, Cary Elwes as Denlinger, and Charles Parnell as random guy in the room.

  • Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg are always welcome.

  • The whole Abu Dhabi sequence.  Masterful cutting and use of soundtrack.  Same with the faceoff at the club.

  • The Venice chase scene was good until the ending.

  • The bike skydive.  The whole train-falling-off-the-tracks sequence.

What I didn’t like:

  • They killed Ilsa.  Worst decision ever.  Can’t express how much I hate this.

  • Killer AI.  They’re going with Skynet for the big bad?  I get that AI’s becoming more and more of an actual thing, but I still have a problem taking this seriously.

  • Gabriel doesn’t work as a flunky in any way.  A generic monologuing villain who fails to intimidate, regardless of the results.

  • Shea Whigham is completely useless as Special Agent Fultiley Chases Tom Cruise.


Regret watching? No

Would watch again? Yes

Would buy on DVD? Yes

Rating: Really good


How have my ranking changed?

  1. 5 (Same) (Opera, Hanging plane, Underwater, Motorcycle chase)

  2. 1 (Up 1)

  3. 7 (New)

  4. 4 (Down 2) (Prison break, Building climb)

  5. 3 (Up 1) (Vatican)

  6. 6 (Down 1) (I’m probably the only person in the world who ranks Fallout this low)

  7. 2


Portrait of a Lady on Fire

I’ve heard so much about this movie, finally got to check it out.  


It’s beautifully made.  Noemie Merlant, in particular, blew me away with her subtle performance.  Her eyes are absolutely arresting, and I spent the whole movie trying to recall who she reminds me of.


It didn’t blow me away as much as I would have hoped, but the love story is touching, and there’s no doubt that the last couple of scenes will linger in my mind for a long time.  (I’m curious to see if they rank up there with Roman Holiday’s ending after there’s been some time to percolate.)


Regret watching? No

Would watch again? Yes

Would buy on DVD? No

Rating: Good


No comments:

Post a Comment