Sunday, July 8, 2018

Ant-Man and the Wasp, Books of Magic, Beware the Creeper, Brother Lono

Ant-Man and the Wasp
So much fun.  I immediately wanted to watch it again.  A bunch of laugh out loud moments, a straightforward “Let’s bring mom home” goal, imaginative action scenes - this movie has it all.  The villains are (yet again) a little lackluster, but the heroes more than make up for it. Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Michael Douglas, and Michael Pena up their game from the previous movie in all aspects.  And I love Michelle Pfeiffer as much as I did in the 80s. Which was a ton. More of her in future Marvel movies, please.

Batman Returns (1992)

Stardust (2007)

2018.  Will always love her.
Regret watching?  No
Would watch again?  Yes
Would buy on DVD?  Yes
Rating: Good

Brother Lono 1-8
Brian Azzarello reveals that Lono didn’t die at the end of 100 Bullets.  He found God and assists at an orphanage in Mexico, repressing his natural instinct and knack for violence.  When a DEA agent shows up and entangles herself with the local drug lords, Lono’s forced to revert to his former self.  

The miniseries reads a lot more clearly than its parent title, but there’s something missing from it.  100 Bullets was largely a creature of cities and modernity. In transplanting its sensibilities to the open spaces of Mexico, Azzarello retains the darkness but loses the noir, if that makes any sense.  It doesn’t help that Lono was one of the less interesting characters from 100 Bullets. It’s entertaining enough, but feels like a superfluous coda.

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? No
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Fine

Beware the Creeper 1-5
I love how my comic shop packages single issue runs of series and sells them at a massive discount.  That’s how I acquired this, based on the low price tag and Cliff Chiang’s name on the cover. I knew nothing else about this title.  On the reread, I remembered almost nothing about my first time through, only a vague recollection of the Creeper’s secret identity.

For some reason, I thought that this would be a candidate for cutting, but I was happy to find that not to be the case.  Jason Hall crafts a wonderful story that’s different from anything else I’ve ever read. Set in post-WWI Paris, twin sisters search for their individual identities amidst the rise of the Surrealist artistic movement and the emergence of the mysterious Creeper.  It’s paced very differently from most comics, without the traditional fight scenes or antagonists. This is one of those pleasant forgotten surprises that makes me happy to be going through my entire collection.

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Pretty good

Books of Magic 1-4
I’m not really sure why I still hang on to this.  There’s not much to it - Four of DC’s occult characters take Tim Hunter on a journey through the worlds of magic.  It’s really a travelogue with some beautifully painted art. The words by Neil Gaiman are fine, but this is not some of his better work.  The final issue, in particular, is as bad I remember it, a jumbled, chaotic mess. Why am I keeping it? Nostalgia? It’s not good enough to even deserve a Major Feels rating, but it’s sticking around.  

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? No
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Didn’t Suck

No comments:

Post a Comment