Wednesday, December 9, 2020

X-Cutioner's Song, Uncanny X-Men, The Boys

The Boys Season 1-2

Just finished watching this.  Some of the reasons why it’s better than the comic:

  1. The relationship between Hughie and Starlight.  I liked it in the comic, and it’s even better in the show.  Jack Quaid and Erin Moriarty have great chemistry and really sell the story of two lost people who find each other in a world of horrors.

  2. Homelander, played by the amazing Antony Starr.  I can’t recall the last time I’ve hated and been so scared of someone at the same time.  On top of that, I can also understand his motivations, something I would not have expected from such a monstrous, reprehensible character.  Starr deserves all the awards for this role.  

  3. Karen Fukuhara and Tomer Kapon have a beautiful relationship as The Female and Frenchie.  I don’t read it as romantic, but the love the two have for each other is clearly evident.

  4. I will always love Shantel VanSanten (Becca, Butcher’s wife) after her portrayal of Patty Spivot on Flash.

  5. The show really sells some of the batshit insane set pieces - The whale, the courtroom, the airplane.  Holy fuck.

The worst thing about it:

  1. The action scenes are some of the most horribly edited I’ve ever seen.  Quick cuts that destroy any sense of flow or storytelling.  Wretched.


I enjoyed watching it, and I really want to read it now for comparison (maybe after I finish all this X-Men stuff), but man, am I exhausted by all the nihilism and cynicism, as realistic as it may be.  


Uncanny X-Men 294-296

X-Factor 84-86

X-Force 16-18

X-Men 14-16

The X-Cutioner’s Song.  This was my first crossover, and boy, was it a huge deal for me.  The “can’t miss event of the year!” vibe that Marvel and DC are always trying to force on to their readership?  I was totally feeling it.  A twelve-part saga across all four X-books!  Professor X shot!  Stryfe, Apocalypse, and Mr Sinister all opposing the X-Men!  So exciting at the time.


And I’m happy to say that even twenty-eight years later, I still love this.  It’s remarkably well paced for such a massive story.  Each issue serves a specific purpose, and there’s no fat on it all.  There are great fight scenes throughout (calling out X-Force fights in parts 2 and 4), and the almost-Byzantine plot boils down to a relatable “abandoned kid has major mommy/daddy issues” that totally works for me.  (Despite Stryfe’s rantings.)


Part of me wishes it came just a few months earlier (imagine if Jim Lee and Whilce Portacio got to draw their titles!), but the actual art teams still do a fine job.  Jae Lee in particular kills his issues (pairing his dark style up with Peter David’s humor-filled scripts shouldn’t work, but it’s amazing), and I’ve always loved Greg Capullo on X-Force.  (Way better than Rob Liefeld.)


The asides amuse me.

Don't understand why Stryfe would put Jean into the middle of a hentai scene.

Love Jae Lee's Apocalypse.

And his variety in faces.

Seriously, how do Lee and David mesh so well?


Wonderful silent storytelling to evoke a mood.

This must be an homage...

...to this, right?

Capullo's gotta be teasing Liefeld here, right?

Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Good (Might be a touch high, but nostalgia gives it the extra bump.)


Uncanny X-Men 297-302

John Romita Jr returns 100 issues later for his second regular stint on the title.  His style’s evolved drastically since his first run into his signature look.  As always, I’m ambivalent about it - There are few artists who swing between good and ugly as much as JRJR.  On the whole, I think I like him.



So impressively gross.

Regret buying: No

Would buy again: No

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Nice


Uncanny X-Men 303

Why didn’t Richard Bennett draw more stuff???  That plus the surprisingly moving death of Illyana make for a nice, quiet issue.


Something about the detailed backgrounds and fine linework.

Sniff.


Regret buying: No

Would buy again: Yes

Would read again: Yes

Rating: Pretty good


No comments:

Post a Comment