Friday, August 21, 2020

Movies

Quick thoughts on a bunch of movies that I’ve recently watched.  (Lots of time at three in the morning while the baby isn’t sleeping…)

Old Guard

The rare adaptation that’s better than the source material (I went back and reread the series by Greg Rucka and Leandro Fernandez just to be sure).  The actors bring so much soul to their characters, adding a heft that I didn’t get in the comic.  Noriko’s drowning is legit one of the most painful, difficult things I’ve watched in quite some time. 


The scene where the team efficiently works their way through the tower made my heart sing, the smoothness and silent communication between the members is a beautiful piece of action choreography.  


This movie made me go back and order the Force Multiplied trade, even though I initially dropped it after the first issue.  I want to see where the (hopefully) next movie’s going to go.


Regret watching: No

Would watch again: Yes

Would buy on DVD: Yes

Rating: Good


Triple Threat

This should have been a no-brainer smash hit - Tony Jaa (Ong-Bak), Iko Uwais (The Raid), Tiger Chen (Man of Tai Chi), and Scott Adkins (everything direct to video) all in the same martial arts film.  I went into this super excited.


I came out underwhelmed - No memorable fight scenes, too much talking, and too much gun play.  This should have been one of the greats.


Regret watching: No

Would watch again: No

Would buy on DVD: No

Rating: Didn’t suck


Knock Down the House

AOC!  Now I want a documentary of her time in Congress.  I love her.


Regret watching: No

Would watch again: Yes

Would buy on DVD: No

Rating: Pretty good


Furie

This was billed as Taken with Veronica Ngo (Rose’s sister in Last Jedi and Noriko in Old Guard).  That’s exactly what I got, but despite some nifty action, it left me completely cold.  I think it’s because despite her impressive fighting skills, the mom is far more desperate and grasping at random straws than the awe-inspiring competency of Liam Neeson, and I wasn’t in the mood to watch that.  


Regret watching: No

Would watch again: No

Would buy on DVD: No

Rating: Didn’t suck


Palm Springs

Awesome awesome awesome.  I was sold when I heard “Groundhog Day with Andy Samberg,” and this still exceeded my expectations.  Samberg and Cristin Milioti are a great on screen pair, and I couldn’t be happier with this film


Regret watching: No

Would watch again: Yes

Would buy on DVD: Yes

Rating: Really Good


No comments:

Post a Comment