Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Impulse, Injustice, Jimmy Olsen, Jonah Hex

Impulse 1-6, 8-13, 16, 17, 19, 20, 23-24
Re-reading this reminds me of why it’s one of my favorite comic series ever.  Next to Kingdom Come, I consider this Mark Waid’s other magnum opus.  He combines hilarity with heartfelt moments into a perfect blend of comic book entertainment. 






I especially love Bart’s relationship with his cousin Jenny - It’s one of the rare moments where he genuinely connects with someone and feels loss when she has to leave.

Heh.  "Bol."

Still my favorite way to break an awkward silence.

THAT'S NOT HOW VIDEO GAMES WORK!!!

*Sniff*

Equally perfect is Humberto Ramos’ art.  This is Ramos at the apex of his career - early enough to have that hungry passion crackling on the page, mature enough for his unique style to shine through in every panel (those huge feet and exaggerated, expressive faces!), and not too late for the style to overwhelm the substance.  

Even his background characters are awesome.

Another example.

I'm team Crawford all the way.

Though Locklear in Scrubs is no slouch.

Bart's got a point.

So much ridiculous.  I love it.

The best of Ramos' wonderful thought bubble pictures.

Indeed, issue 3 may be an example of the perfect comic.  It absolutely sings, and I love it as much now as when I first read it.  It’s on my very very short list of favorite single issues.  

God, I love this title.  

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: Yes
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Really Good.  Pure Joy for 3.  Good for 23-25

Impulse 7, 14, 15, 21, 22
Legion of Superheroes 88
Filler issues, with either a guest writer, guest penciller, or both.  None of these come close to the quality of the Waid/Ramos pairing, and I see no reason to keep watered down Impulse around.  Well, I’ll keep the Legion crossover.  It’s got Koko in it.  

KOKO!

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: No
Rating: Fine (Cutting 7, 14, 15, 22)

Injustice 1-2
This is one of those series that I keep meaning to come back to.  What if Joker broke Superman by forcing him to kill Lois Lane, resulting in a facist world ruled by the now order-obsessed Man of Steel?  It’s the setup for the DC fighting game and this tie-in series.  

Tom Taylor writes this before he would later rock my world with DCeased, and I’m probably going to pick up the trades after I finish writing this.

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: Yes
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Pretty good

Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen 1
Matt Fraction’s humor (which I love on Hawkeye) doesn’t quite land for me here.  I’ll keep it around, but have no desire to read more issues.  (First read review)

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Fine

Jonah Hex 33, 50
Darwyn Cooke on art.  These are masterpieces.  I think the writing by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray is really good, but I can’t tell how much of it is Cooke elevating everything that he works on.  


Love the cannon sight gag.



Regret buying: No
Would buy again: Yes
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Really good

No comments:

Post a Comment