Saturday, February 29, 2020

New comics, Doctor Mid-Nite, Earth 2, Fallen Angel

New comic!
Superman Smashes the Klan 3
Continues the excellence of the previous two issues.  Gene Luen Yang and Gurihiru have created a wonderful story with likable characters, contemptible villains, and life lessons that I can’t wait to share with my kid when she gets a little older.  A perfect example of how comics can entertain and educate at the same time.

Doctor Mid-Nite 1-3
Another in the long line of “I remember liking it, but almost nothing else” comics that I own.  Matt Wagner manages to make Dr. Mid-Nite a unique character out of a mish-mash of ripped off origins - A renowned doctor (Dr Strange) is blinded while gaining superpowers that let him see in the dark (Daredevil), and uses his wealth and intellect to create a bunch of gadgets and fight crime (Batman) alongside his pet bird (Falcon).  It’s a lot of fun, helped by John K Snyder III channelling a lot of Dave McKean in his Arkham Asylum phase.  

Never seen a dangling cape look so dynamic.
Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: Yes
Rating: Pretty good

Earth 2 1-4
Why did I buy this?  Did James Robinson’s name on a comic still have some pull with me?  This is basically an Elseworlds where the JSA forms after the trinity of Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman, not before.  Total meh, and past me quit before the first story arc concluded. Coulda stopped earlier.

Regret buying: Yes
Would buy again: No
Would read again: No
Rating: Fine (Cutting)

Fallen Angel 1-6
There exists a category of comics that buy thinking I’ll like, but when it comes time to read them for the first time, I’m struck with a reluctance to crack open the pages.  I have that right now with Immortal Hulk, Echo, and the latest Saga collection.  For some reason or another, I can’t find the motivation to get started.  

Fallen Angel falls squarely in that grouping - I cared enough to buy nineteen of the twenty issues in the full run, most likely because Peter David’s the writer, but I honestly don’t know if I’ve read a single one of them.  This may actually not be a re-read. 

It’s...fine.  Another vigilante in another new city.  David throws in a few interesting twists (Doctor Juris intrigues me, and the idea of the Fallen Angel sleeping with her archnemesis has possibilities), but so far I’m leaning towards cutting this from my collection.  The juris is still out.  

Regret buying: No
Would buy again: No
Would read again: No
Rating: Fine

No comments:

Post a Comment