Sunday, June 17, 2018

Straczynski Thor, Thunderbolts

Following up on what I wrote last time, I’m going to make sure I add at least a semblance of a plot summary for the things that I read.

Thor 1-12, 600-603, Giant-Size Finale
JM Straczynski’s run.  Olivier Coipel draws the majority of the issues, with Marko Djurdjevic covering the rest.  

Summary: After the latest Ragnarok, which ended in the death of all the Asgardians, Thor is resurrected and joined with Donald Blake again.  He, in turn, rebuilds Asgard next to a tiny town in Oklahoma. After spending a couple issues restoring the spirits of his closest comrades to full corporeal status, he brings back the entirety of the Asgardian population, including Loki (this time in female form).  Loki’s machinations result in Thor’s exile, Baldur sitting on the throne, and the relocation of the Asgardians to Latveria. By the time Straczynski bids farewell to Thor, the death of an unlikely hero in the form of Bill the Oklahoman spurs Baldur to fight back against Loki and Doom, leaving things on somewhat of a cliffhanger.  

Straczynski starts off strong, and I greatly enjoyed the first trade (of the three that collected his run).  He set up the wonderful juxtaposition of Asgardian wonder with the imperturbable common sense of Thor’s Oklahoman neighbors.  The best moments of the comic involve the interactions between the two - Thor’s quick resolution of how to avoid building Asgard on the land, his purchase of said land, and this little gem:



Bill’s romance with Kelda was sweet in theory, but I wish Straczynski would have spent much more time developing that relationship.  It would have given Bill’s eventual sacrifice a lot more weight. Instead, his turn from lovestruck country boy to heroic ally of Baldur is way too jarring.  It doesn’t fit anything we’ve seen from him beforehand, and plays as a change made out of plot necessity. (There’s a complete summary of their relationship here.  I’m glad someone recapped the issues that I don’t have.)

I have an even bigger beef with why Bill needs to assist Baldur in the first place; Baldur spends the entire run as the idiot who lets Loki manipulate him into moving everyone to Latveria and banishing Thor out of the kingdom.  My inherent sense of fairness has always hated the Iago archetype type of character.

That hatred is magnified by anger when the dupe idiotically takes everything that’s being said at face value, even when they purport to know better.  “I’ll trust you for now, but if I find out that you’re playing with me…” It hard to feel sorry for the frog for trusting the scorpion, and it leaves me with no one to root for; I hate the hero for being stupid, and I hate the villain for taking advantage of that naivety.  (Loki’s schemes start with the second trade, which is why I like the first one so much more.)

The first trade is also where Thor kicks the shit out of Tony Stark over the events of Civil War.  It’s a well-deserved one-sided thrashing, and it makes me so very happy. The entire ass-whupping is too long for me to feel comfortable posting it, but you can see it here.  Highlights below, also because it showcases Coipel, who does a superb job on this.  (Djurdjevic isn’t back, but he’s not in the same league.)





Finally, I love Straczynski’s constant ribbing of Volstagg.  It is utterly delightful. Volstagg’s a big man. He can take it.




Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes for 1-6, No for everything else
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Pretty good for 1-6, Fine for everything else

Thunderbolts 11-12
When these first came out, I’d already read a bunch of positive reviews about this title.  I got these two issues since it was the culmination of the first storyline and I wanted to check it out.

Summary: Zemo unleashes his plan to take over the planet, taking over the minds of the world’s military forces to overthrow all the governments.  Most of the Thunderbolts mutiny in response, having gotten used to being heroes. With the help of the Avengers and the leadership of Jolt, they prevail.  

Not too shabby.  Kurt Busiek spends just enough time on each Thunderbolt’s psyche, so that their motivations are well defined when the team fractures over Zemo’s final scheme.  I also like how Jolt, as both the youngest and newest member of the team, manages to unify most of her compatriots. She could have come across as an annoying upstart, but Busiek gives her the right mix of idealism and practical tactical brilliance to make me like her.  

I had fun reading this, but like past me, not enough to want to find out what teleported them away at the end of the issue.

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? No
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Nice

No comments:

Post a Comment