Friday, December 22, 2017

Avengers West Coast, Avenging Spider-Man


Avengers West Coast 102
I probably bought this for a combination of two reasons: I got the previous issue because it was part of the Bloodlines crossover w/ the X-Men; It was the last issue of the series, and high school me thought it might be worth something someday.  

Both were stupid reasons, but I’m glad past me did, because this is a fun little issue.  Nothing but Avengers sitting (and standing) around talking about shutting down the team.  The interpersonal conflicts fit with the characters, and the story zips along at a perfect, brisk pace.  I’ve read this issue several times over the years, it’s the perfect comic book example of comfort food.  

Bitter much?

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Nice

Looking at the ratings I’ve been giving for the past month, I haven’t used Okay once.  So I’m going to deprecate that one, since it’s what I mean by Fine, which is basically replacement level comics.  Nice is new, and will mean comfort food.  

Avenging Spider-Man 1-5
So.  Much.  Fun.  How did I forget about this?  I remembered this series for the Joe Madureira art.  And as wonderful as it was, Zeb Wells’ writing is what really shines.  I can not recall another comic with this density of lol moments.  This review will basically be a collection of these moments.  

A few more notes before I get to those:  Joe Mad is as amazing as always.  His inks show a greater variety of line weights than I’ve seen in the past, lending the finished work a sketchier quality that I’m a huge fan of.  I’m also thrilled to see him drawing Spidey, something I’ve wanted more of since he (Spidey) made a cameo in Uncanny X-Men

Back in 1997
Fifteen years later.
Excellent tagline for a sword.
Heh.

Things I didn't know I needed #281: J Jonah Jameson in battle armor.
Things I didn't know I needed #282: Hulk Clap on a flock of seagulls.  (I choose to believe that none of them suffered lasting injury)

Heh 2.

Goes on my list of favorite quotes.
Aside from the humor, Wells also injects some sweet moments into the issues.  Hawkeye’s motivation behind his need to never miss and Spidey’s attempts to bond with Cap veer dangerously close towards the twee side, and nudge a toe over the line, but they worked for me. Also liked Spidey standing up to Red Hulk about doing what’s right.


Never figured Yu as an artist who could pull off humor, but that's some prime Spidey/Cap posing.

Not so much the ending of issue 4.  On the one hand, Spidey’s being nice to Hawkeye because he know how important hitting the target is to Clint.  On the other hand, it comes across as patronizing a grown man.  

As I was reading this, I kept wondering why I stopped buying with issue 5.  I was already considering buying more issues so that I could read more of Wells’ Spidey-quotes.  Turns out this was as far as he got before handing it over to other writers.  Oh wells.  (He also wrote for Robot Chicken, including the excellent Star Wars episodes.  I’m not surprised.)  

Regret buying? No
Would buy again? Yes
Would read again? Yes
Rating: Good

No comments:

Post a Comment