Thursday, July 4, 2024

New comics

I’m so far behind.  And I just don’t have the same enthusiasm for this anymore.  Not enough sleep?  Something else?  Who knows.


Love Everlasting 15

So an arc ends, I don’t know much more than when I first started, but it’s been entertaining the whole time.  This will likely read much better all at once.  I’m still in when Tom King and Elsa Charretier come back from their announced hiatus.


Birds of Prey 10

I tried, I really did.  But Kelly Thompson’s plots just ain’t doing it for me.  Such a shame, her characterizations are wonderful.


Uncanny Valley 1-3

Yet another iFanboy recommendation.  This is a delightful mixing of the real world with Looney Tunes cartoon universe tropes.  The concept is without a doubt stronger than the execution by Tony Fleecs and Dave Wachter, but this is a title worth supporting.


Get Fury 2

Mostly setup, but it’s always good to read a Garth Ennis Punisher story.


Batman: Dark Age 3

A really solid Elseworlds.  I’ll never be fully all-in on Mike Allred, but he’s an oddly suitable choice for this title by Mark Russell.  


Scarlett 1

My first entry into the GI Joe side of the Energon Universe.  A fun little action comic by Kelly Thompson and Marco Ferrari.  Hopefully Thompson does a better job w/ the story on this book.


Penguin 10-11

Looks like this is a maxiseries after all, concluding w/ the next issue.  Makes sense.  As with most Tom King series, this will be super fun to read over again.


Nightwing 115

Heartless makes his move and Dick Grayson experiences the start of his own Born Again fall from grace.  


Ultimate X-Men 4

After giving it a few months, I’ve determined that this just isn’t for me in the long haul.  Peach Momoko does a fine job, but there isn’t enough traditional X-Men for me.  


Transformers 9

Perhaps the first time I’ve ever seen Shockwave wielded as a gun by someone else.  Still fun, but there continues to be some ineffable quality that’s keeping me from completely loving it. 


Rare Flavours 6

It’s no Many Deaths of Laila Starr, and the themes aren’t nearly as profound.  But this followup by Ram V and Filipe Andrade is still a joy to read, bringing the tastes and smells of Indian cuisine to the page.  


Animal Pound 4

The parallels to our modern state of American politics come front and center with this issue.  As with Animal Farm, the truths on display here are utterly terrifying and spellbinding at the same time.  Wondering how many more issues it’ll take Tom King to finish this story.  


Wonder Woman 10

So much invisible plane humor, it’s excellent.  Not sure i buy the Cheetah lovefest; Tom King is really toeing the line of annoyingly earnest, but I think he stays on the right side of it.


Plus, Kite Man!


No comments:

Post a Comment