Sunday, November 12, 2023

WW 2.2, Roaming

WW 2.2 1-7

I randomly found these issues online, translated from their original French.  Ideated by writer David Chauvel, these comics posit a reality where Hitler is assassinated in 1939, right at the beginning of WW2, before Paris falls to the German blitzkrieg.  It makes for a great counterfactual, and it leads to some intriguing scenarios: Germany allies with the Russians, and the Japanese join forces with the Americans.  The new Axis successfully invades the UK and drops an atomic bomb on Paris.  Lots of interesting stuff.


Unfortunately, I find the straightforward facts a lot more interesting than the person-level tales that the creative teams tell here.  I’d like a history book telling all of the events, rather than the slice-of-war stories that I get here.  It’s the same thing as Chuck Dixon’s Storming Paradise.


Roaming

The other Mariko Tamaki graphic novel I borrowed from the library.  Am I just ruined for high school/college romances?  I can’t remember the last one I really moved by.  And I want to be emotionally touched by them.  It also is looking more and more like Tamaki peaked with Supergirl: Being Super, at least for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment