Monday, August 7, 2023

Movies

Some things I watched on my TV screen.

Your Place Or Mine

Reese Witherspoon and Ashton Kutcher are the couple to be in this blah blah blah.  Reese is an overprotective mother who blah blah blah.  Thank god this was free.


Regret watching? No (Because it cost nothing and ran in the background)

Would watch again? No

Would buy on DVD? No

Rating: Didn’t suck


Secret Invasion

This was it.  The MCU project that destroyed my faith in the Marvel Machine.  Coming on the heels of the wretched Quantumania (and that rating is too high), Secret Invasion completely shredded any remaining confidence I have in Kevin Feige and Co’s ability to land however many future phases they have left in them.  


Secret Invasion is a textbook example of wasted potential.  This could have been an amazing experience in paranoia, who’s really a Skrull, far-reaching ramifications, and shocking reveals.  It could have been the culmination of three phases of Marvel movies.  It could have been glorious.


Instead, it’s a small scale disappointment with reveals, deaths, and plots that fail to carry any emotional weight.  Maria Hill and Talos die with little fanfare, ending the runs of two brilliantly cast and completely wasted actors.  Emilia Clarke is now the most powerful character in the universe, and I can’t bring myself to care.  What the hell was that weak ass, unimaginative fight at the end?


Nick Fury has lost all of his luster; On that point, the show’s spot on: He’s old and has nothing left to give.  His marriage could have had some real heft (and almost gets there), but ends up being something else that I don’t care about.  


I daresay that Marvel is reaching DCU levels of badness.  They’ve fallen so far, it makes me so sad.  


Regret watching: No (I mean, I was going to watch it regardless of how bad it was)

Would watch again: No

Would buy on DVD: No

Rating: Stupid


Updated TV rankings:

  1. She-Hulk

  2. Hawkeye

  3. Wandavision

  4. Ms Marvel

  5. Loki

  6. Falcon/Winter Soldier

  7. Moon Knight

  8. Secret Invasion

No comments:

Post a Comment